Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on September 8th, 2021
America First Credit Union Visa Share Secured Credit Card
Build Your Credit With a Low Rate
- No annual fee
- Credit limits start from $200
- Low regular rates for purchases
- Travel emergency assistance included
- Regular Purchase APR: 10.5% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 10.5% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 10.5% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: 1.5% of the amount of each cash advance
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 1% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $10
- Minimum Deposit Required: $200
At a Glance
The America First Credit Union Visa Share Secured Card is a quality secured credit card with no annual fee. The card, from America First Credit Union, features an excellent, fixed APR and basic Visa Classic credit card protections.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Have bad credit or no credit history
- Are an America First member or live in Utah or select Nevada counties
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
America First Credit Union Visa Share Secured Credit Card Review
The America First Credit Union Visa Secured Card is an enticing secured card option for those new to credit – or looking to repair a bad credit score.
Enjoy an Impressively Low APR
One of the most impressive features of the America First Share Secured Visa is the variable APR on purchases. The interest rate for the card, currently around 10.5%, is significantly lower than the national average for a secured credit card – now approximately 18%. For individuals with bad credit, the average APR for around 22%, making the America First Secured Card an ideal option for someone who wants the versatility to build credit and carry a balance at the same time.
Reasonable Refundable Deposit Minimums
Secured credit cards differ from traditional credit cards in that they require a refundable security deposit. This deposit acts as the security for the line of credit and the credit limit. With the America First Secured Card, that deposit starts as low as $200.
The $200 minimum deposit isn’t exceptional – it is a standard feature of many cards in the same category, but it does provide a modest entry point for those looking to boost their credit score.
Other Card Features
Many secured cards lack the enticing features that typically come from unsecured credit cards. Things like rewards, 0% intro APR, etc., are uncommon, with a few exceptions (notably the Discover It Secured Card and the Assent 0% Intro APR Secured Mastercard).
The America First Secured Card features a great APR and no annual fee, but little else. Fortunately, Visa makes up for this shortfall with the usual array of protections with a Visa Classic product. These benefits include:
- Visa Picture Perfect: Design your card with your chosen photo
- Lost Luggage Assistance: Visa helps find your travel bags when they are misplaced in transit
- Roadside Dispatch:Pay-per-use, 24/7 towing and roadside assistance program.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver:Receive collision and theft coverage when using Visa to pay for the entire cost of a car rental.
- Cardholder Inquiry Service: 24/7 access to Visa customer service representatives who can provide detailed information for members in all major languages.
- Lost or Stolen Card Reporting and Emergency Card Replacement:Visa blocks stolen cards and connects users with their bank. Visa will work with the bank to get the users a replacement card or emergency cash disbursement within three business days.
- Zero Liability:Cardholders pay nothing if their card is subject to unauthorized use or theft
Like other America First CU Visa credit cards, the Secured Card also offers “Card Guard” purchase protection. Card Guard is the credit union’s smartphone app (available for Apple and Android devices) that lets users limit transactions by geography, set spending limits, define which merchants can process transactions, and more.
Should You Apply for the America First Credit Union Visa Share Secured Credit Card?
America First members that lack a credit history or have bad credit can benefit significantly from the America First Credit Union Secured Visa Card. The low minimum deposit requirements, great APR, and no annual fee are all benefits that are worthy of merit.
While the card lacks rewards, most secured cards do – meaning it isn’t a huge letdown. The Visa benefits are adequate, as is the addition of Card Guard from the credit union itself.