Amegy Bank® Reserve Visa® Credit Card
$500 Bonus When You Spend $5,000
- Earn 3X points on travel and dining
- Earn 2X points on all other expenses
- Get a $250 flexible travel credit
- Receive complimentary lounge access
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.24% to 24.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 6 months on transfers made within 90 days from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.24% to 24.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 23.24% to 24.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $450
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Spoil your pup with a FREE upgrade to BarkBox. - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 10% on all Afternoon Tea orders - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 10% on The Berlin Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Complimentary EZ Mini Crunchies (60g) when you spend S$120 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- 10% off museum entry - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save up to 55% on London theater tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 10% on Tower of London access tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Alamo® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Enterprise Rent-A-Car® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% on The Paris Explorer Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The Amegy Bank® Reserve Visa® Credit Card is a high-end travel card that knows how to deliver. If you’re up to the $450 minimum annual fee, you’ll unlock the highest level of rewards this bank has to offer, as well as a generous $250 annual travel credit and complimentary lounge access for the whole (cardholder) family, worth upwards of $260 per person.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Prefer to have a travel rewards card from a local bank
- Want to earn no less than 2X points on purchases, regardless of the category
- Can spend $5,000 in the first 90 days to earn $500 in bonus rewards
- Will cash in the travel credit and complimentary Priority Pass lounge access to offset the hefty annual fee
Amegy Bank® Reserve Visa® Credit Card Review
Unlike its sister cards, the Premier and the Elite, the Visa Reserve Credit Card from Amegy Bank has a treasure trove of value to unlock. Aside from the 3X and 2X points on your expenses, you’ll get a travel credit to spend on a wide variety of travel expenses, including Global Entry membership. Add on the complimentary lounge access for up to 4 cardholders per account, and you have an easy way to balance out the annual fee while traveling in style with your family.
Amegy Bank® Reserve Card Point Earnings
The first feature you’ll likely notice about this Reserve Credit Card is the rewards rate. Most rewards credit cards offer a base rate of 1X point per dollar on uncategorized purchases, while this one offers no less than 2. On top of that, travel and dining expenses earn 3X points per dollar spent, including items like:
- Hotel rooms
- Car rentals
As with the Amegy Bank Elite Visa Credit Card, you can also earn bonus rewards if you’re able to spend at least $5,000 in the first 90 days from account opening. $1,666 per month can be an intimidating balance to pay, but it’s achievable, especially if you use that period to book a family vacation abroad. If you do, you’ll earn either 50,000 points or $500 cash back. You can redeem all of your rewards this way; you have the option to choose cash back outright, or use your points to pay for recent purchases made with the card. As long as a charge is from the last 90 days, you can use your points to pay it off. With this flexibility, you can use your points toward more than just travel expenses.
How the Annual Fee Measures Up
This card may offer more rewards than its sister cards, but it also comes with a Texas-sized annual fee of $450. You may get more out of it if you add your spouse or another family member to the account for an additional $50 – that way you can share the annual fee and maximize your rewards. Just make sure you’re both on the same page about finances, as irresponsible credit card use on their part will hurt your credit. Another way to make sure you get the full value of this card and offset the annual fee is by utilizing the sizeable travel credit, free lounge access and Visa features.
Flexible Travel Credit
The Amegy Bank Reserve Card’s $250 annual travel credit is unique in that it’s much more flexible than credits you find with similar travel rewards cards. Many cards offer travel credits for specific expenses, particularly Global Entry and TSA PreCheck membership, which isn’t even annual. However, this credit is annual, and it’s automatically applied to purchases made in any of the following categories:
- Travel agency services
- Airport terminal expenses and in-flight Wi-Fi
- Airline and cruise line fees
- Global Entry and TSA PreCheck
The best part about this is that you can use the credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck and still have money left over for the year. And since these memberships lasts up to 4 years, you’ll have the full benefit of the $250 for the years in between.
Visa Travel Protections and Perks
Like other high-end Visa credit cards, the Reserve Credit Card from Amegy Bank comes with travel benefits to make sure you get the most out of your trip, even if you encounter mishaps. No need to worry about delayed baggage or flights, or even trip cancellations, since the travel insurance has you covered. The card throws in VIP Guest Status with the Visa Luxury Hotel Collection as well. If you choose from one of the hotels in this collection and pay with your card, you’re eligible for perks like dining credits, late check out, and automatic upgrades to your room. Not to mention the exclusive events you’ll have access to, such as culinary experiences curated specifically for Visa customers.
Complimentary Lounge Access
This card also grants you complimentary/discounted Priority Pass Select Lounge access. You’ll be automatically enrolled in a membership, allowing you to enter any Priority Pass lounge locations around the world. Free memberships are also available for up to 3 additional cardholders on the account. Within each complimentary membership, you get 5 free visits per year, including guests (a $160 value per person, not including the membership fee). After that, you’ll need to pay the discounted entrance fee of $27 when visiting a lounge. Some of the other benefits that come with membership can include free alcoholic drinks and Wi-Fi depending on the location, as well as discounts to use around the airport. The regular Standard memberships on their own cost $99 each, in addition to $32 per lounge visit (including guests). So, your full value just for one cardholder with 5 lounge visits would be at least $260. Multiply that per cardholder on the account and this Amegy Bank credit card starts to become more worthwhile. Keep in mind, however, that each additional cardholder adds $50 to your overall annual fee.
Should You Apply for the Amegy Bank® Reserve Visa® Credit Card?
The Amegy Bank Reserve Card is probably most worthwhile for those who travel frequently with their spouse and immediate family, and will add additional cardholders to the account to maximize their benefits. The lounge access and travel credit alone can make up for the annual fee when used strategically. Combined with the Visa benefits and elevated rewards earnings, you can pull a lot of value out of this card, especially when you share it. If you’re still not sure this is the right card (or bank) for you, there are a few comparable options you can consider. One such option is the American Express Gold Card, which allows you to earn 4X points on dining and groceries for your family, plus 3X points for flights. Not only that, you’ll still be eligible for a couple of statement credits, all for a much lower annual fee. Since you can still add additional cardholders to the account, this is a nice alternative if you’re still interested in a family card.