| Last updated on September 6th, 2023
AAA Member Rewards Card
AAA Member Rewards Card
- 13.99% to 23.99%, variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 13.99% to 23.99%, variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 16.99 to 26.99%, variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- No annual fee
- 3X points on travel and AAA purchases
- 2X points on gas, groceries, wholesale clubs, and drugstore purchases
- 1X points on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.99% to 23.99%, variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 12 months
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99% to 23.99%, variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 16.99 to 26.99%, variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $28
At a Glance
The AAA Member Rewards Card is a travel rewards Visa card from AAA and Bank of America. The card earns big points on travel and other everyday purchases – all for no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are already members of AAA
- Want a card that earns rewards on travel plus AAA costs and purchases
- Frequently use their credit card to run errands or buy groceries
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee or a foreign transaction fee
AAA Member Rewards Card Review
The AAA Member Rewards Visa is a no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee travel card from Bank of America and the American Automotive Association (AAA). The card offers valuable rewards on travel purchases, plus on the everyday buys upon which people rely.
Who Can Apply for the AAA Member Rewards Card?
The American Automobile Association is a federation of motor clubs from across the United States and Canada that provides a wealth of benefits for members, including:
- Roadside assistance
- Auto discounts
- Insurance policies
- Travel deals
- Banking, including savings and checking accounts, CDs, and credit cards
The AAA Member Rewards Visa is the only Bank of America-issued AAA card. Like the U.S. Bank versions of AAA credit cards, the AAA Member Rewards Card is only available to AAA members in select regions. Residents of the following areas may apply for Bank of America version of the card:
- American West (Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)
- Mid-Atlantic (New York, New Jersey, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Dakota)
- Northeast (Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Ohio)
Please note that the availability of the AAA Member Rewards Card varies based on the county or state of residence of AAA members. While BestCards makes every effort to provide the most up-to-date information, please consult your local AAA website for more details.
How to Earn Points
Like the U.S. Bank AAA Dollars® Plus Mastercard®, the AAA Member Rewards Card earns 3X points on eligible AAA and travel purchases. areas travel transactions include:
- Car rental agencies
- Hotels, motels, and resorts
- Travel agencies
- Rail purchases, including ferries and light/commuter rail
Having the ability to earn 3X points on airfare purchases booked not only through the airlines but also through third-party sites or booking agencies is a great perk that isn’t found with some other types of travel cards – particularly those co-branded with airlines. The addition of AAA purchases further boosts the value of the card, allowing cardholders to regain some of the costs needed to pay for AAA membership, roadside assistance, or anything else auto club related.
The Card also earns 2X points on gas station, grocery store, wholesale club, and drugstore purchases. The 2X points come with the caveats that superstores or grocery stores that also sell gasoline along with groceries are not gas stations, and that smaller stores, such as convenience stores or discount stores that sell groceries, do not count towards the grocery’s category.
Every other purchase earns a flat rate 1X points. Despite these limitations, earning 3X on most travel purchases and 2X on most gas, grocery, drugstore, and wholesale club purchases is very impressive – especially since the card charges no annual fee.
Points have equal value in terms of cash back, so the 3X points on AAA purchases, for example, has a cash back value of 3% back on the same purchase.
How to Redeem Rewards
Rewards points earned through the AAA Member Rewards Card are redeemable for a variety of options through AAA. These options include travel, gift cards, cash back, or AAA rewards vouchers. Award redemptions for travel begin at 2,500 points, gift cards at 3,500 points, and 5,000 points for cash back rewards and AAA vouchers.
The value of AAAA Member Rewards points is approximately one cent per point ($0.01/pt.), which is based on the cash back redemption rate of 1%. Points are valid until five years after the quarter in which they were first earned ends. Points first earned in October 2012, for example, would have expired at the end of December 2017.
Statement Credit Bonus Offer
The similarities between the AAA Member Rewards Card and the AAA Dollars® Plus Mastercard® run far deeper than just the point-earning potential of both cards. The Bank of America version of the card also earns the same $200 statement credit as the U.S. BANK version, though the AAA Member Rewards Visa requires a much smaller spend to reach the bonus.
New accounts earn the $200 statement credit after making just $750 in purchases within the first 90 days. The $750 minimum spend is half of the $1,500 U.S. Bank requires for the same cash back bonus – not bad. Even better, to reach $750 in 90 days, a new account would only have to spend approximately $250 a month for the first three months. A generous bonus for such a small spend is a bonus worth celebrating, so hats off to Bank of American and AAA.
0% Introductory APR on Balance Transfers
The AAA Member Rewards also comes with an introductory interest-free period on balance transfers. New accounts can pay down existing credit card balances thanks to 0% intro APR for the first 12 months. While the balance transfer fee of 3% of the transaction isn’t ideal, it isn’t a deal-breaker either – especially as it is a pretty standard rate among cards like this.
The one-year of 0% APR on balance transfers also benefits from a very competitive APR after that. The rate is on par with what you’d usually expect from a travel rewards card, with those with excellent credit scores enjoying interest rates of around 14% on purchases and balance transfers, while those with average credit scores receiving a regular percentage rate that could rise as high as the mid-’20s.
Should You Apply for the AAA Member Rewards Card?
AAA offers members excellent value, and AAA Member Rewards Card is a great example of this commitment to members. Earning 3X points (or 3% back) on most travel purchases, plus AAA expenses like membership fees is a fantastic offer for those who are always on the move. The value, however, is boosted further by the 2X points on gas, groceries, wholesale clubs, and drugstores, making the card as useful as it is versatile.
That versatility is further enhanced by 0% intro APR for the first year on balance transfers. , with a competitive, low rate every day after that. No annual fee, plus no foreign transaction fees, make this card as useful at home as it is outside the U.S.
Overall, the AAA Member Rewards Visa Card has quite a lot going for it. The card compares well with the U.S. Bank AAA Dollars® Plus Mastercard® available to members in other regions, and even better against other everyday rewards cards, such as the Discover It Chrome, Discover it Miles, and USAA Rewards Visa Signature.
Browse Other Bank of America Credit Card Offers:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.