Air travel is one of the hardest-hit industries due to the coronavirus outbreak. International carriers like Avianca and LATAM, for example, are two giants recently brought to their knees because of the pandemic. U.S. carriers are also suffering, with American Airlines in particular looking to boost its bottom line by selling airline miles at a reduced rate. As a result, American Airlines loyalty members can now purchase AAdvantage miles from just 1.8 cents per mile.
Purchase AAdvantage Miles at a Reduced Rate
The economic slowdown of the coronavirus pandemic has forced many carriers to scramble for ways to offset sluggish ticket sales by selling airline miles at a lower rate. American Airlines is the latest name to join this trend, offering AAdvantage miles at a significantly reduced price. This promotion is realized thanks to bonus miles for individual purchases. According to deals website, Doctor of Credit, this offer has a value of as low as 1.8 cents/mile. Frequent flyers need to log into their AAdvantage account and check for their offer. The airline has a limit of 200,000 miles per customer, and the promotion ends June 30, 2020.
The current AAdvantage miles offers are as follows:
- 2,000 to 14,000 miles – 15% off
- 15,000 to 19,000 miles – receive 5,000 bonus miles
- 20,000 to 29,000 miles – receive 10,000 bonus miles
- 30,000 to 49,000 miles – receive 15,000 bonus miles
- 50,000 to 74,000 miles – receive 25,000 bonus miles and an extra 5% off
- 75,000 to 99,000 miles – receive 40,000 bonus miles and an extra 5% off
- 100,000 to 134,000 miles – receive 60,000 bonus miles and an extra 5% off
- 135,000 to 149,000 miles – receive 80,000 bonus miles and an extra 5% off
- 150,000 to 199,000 miles – receive 100,000 bonus miles and an extra 5% off
- 200,000 miles – receive 120,000 bonus miles and an extra 5% off
Current AAdvantage Credit Card Offers
While airline rewards credit cards are struggling to provide value to cardholders during the coronavirus pandemic, they are still valuable additions to any traveler’s wallet. American Airlines currently offers several co-branded credit cards with Barclays and Citi.
AAdvantage Personal Credit Cards:
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®
- American Airlines AAdvantage® MileUp Mastercard®
- Citi® AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
AAdvantage Business Credit Cards:
These cards allow members to earn even more AAdvantage miles with every purchase, including by spending in categories like dining, groceries, and travel.
Related Article: American Airlines Extending SimplyMiles Program to All AAdvantage Members