Last updated on August 10th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Card
Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Card
- 16.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 16.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 23.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 18 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- No interest paid with 0% APR for the first 18 months of account opening
- Zero Liability protection ensures that cardholders are not held responsible for unauthorized transactions when promptly reported
- Comprehensive travel protection includes accident insurance, cell phone protection, and auto rental collision damage waiver
- Ideal for paying down balances and large purchases that need to be paid over time
- Free access to FICO® Credit Score
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 18 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 18 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Introductory fee of either $5 or 3% of the balance transfer amount, whichever is greater, for 120 days from account opening. After that, up to 5% for each balance transfer, with a minimum of $5
- Cash Advance APR: 23.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Wells Fargo Platinum Visa Card helps cardholders take control of their finances and pay for large ticket items over time. The 0% introductory APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers is enticing for anyone looking for flexibility when it comes to paying down a balance or making a big purchase.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want a balance transfer card to pay down debt or existing card balances
- Are planning a large purchase they want to pay off over time thanks to a low introductory rate
- Want a card with a $0 annual fee
Wells Fargo Platinum Visa Card Review
The Wells Fargo Platinum Card is an excellent balance transfer credit card that offers the bank’s longest intro APR – and the lowest APR Wells Fargo offers after that. The card offers the type of perks that are ideal for those looking to control their finances.
Enjoy 18 Months of 0% Intro APR
The major selling point with the Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® is the 18-month introductory APR it offers qualifying new accounts. Cardholders enjoy 0% APR for 18 months on purchases and qualifying balance transfers. This extended offer is one of the longest on the market today – and provides exceptional value for those hoping to finance a large purchase or pay down an existing credit card balance.
The balance transfer introductory offer with the card also features a special initial balance transfer fee. New accounts enjoy a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater, for the first 120 days from account opening.
Wells Fargo’s Lowest APR
Once the introductory 0% APR period ends, the card also enjoys the bank’s lowest interest rates. The rate varies based on the applicant’s creditworthiness but is comparable with other offers from major banks.
The average APR for a balance transfer and 0% interest credit card is approximately 17%, which the Platinum Visa easily clears. This feature makes the card a versatile balance transfer card and a card that can carry a balance (with responsible use).
Other Card Features
Beyond the impressive 0% intro APR, the Wells Fargo Platinum Visa Card also offers Visa protections and features. These security features include Visa’s Zero Liability protection for any unauthorized transactions on the account that are promptly reported, My Money Map, which allows cardholders to see exactly where – and how – they are spending their money, and free access to their FICO credit score each month.
The lack of travel rewards points with the Platinum Card doesn’t mean there aren’t travel perks associated with the card. Travelers can receive the usual Visa travel protections, including Zero Fraud Liability, Auto Collision Damage Waiver, and Travel Accident Insurance. Cardholders who pay their mobile phone bills with the card also have their device covered against damage or theft thanks to up to $600 of cell phone protection.
Should You Apply for the Wells Fargo Platinum Visa Card?
Overall, the Wells Fargo Platinum Card is a very solid balance transfer credit card for those looking for a typically low APR and managing existing credit card debt or balances. 18 months of 0% APR is an excellent perk for those planning large purchases, especially given the lack of an annual fee.
While the card lacks the reward points that other Wells Fargo credit cards offer, it rewards users who are financially prudent, meaning it might not be a credit card for everyday use. Still, it is a handy tool to keep in your credit toolbelt, nonetheless. Those considering credit-builder options outside of WF
should check out popular options, such as the Mission Lane Visa, Revvi Card, or the Merrick Bank Double Your Line.