| Last updated on October 27th, 2023
Golden 1 Member Rate Advantage Visa® Card
Golden 1 Member Rate Advantage Visa® Card
- 13.04% to 19.04% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 13.04% to 19.04% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 13.04% to 19.04% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
A low-rate card that empowers you to pay down balances faster or to consolidate debt from other cards- that’s what you’ll find with the Golden 1 Member Rate Advantage Visa® Card.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- No annual fee
- Our Lowest Rates
- No Balance Transfer Fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.04% to 19.04% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.04% to 19.04% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 13.04% to 19.04% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 2.5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 1% of the transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $15
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
- You want to pay for large purchases over time
- You need to pay down debt
- You're consolidating other high-rate card balances
Golden 1 Member Rate Advantage Visa® Card Review
The Golden 1 Member Rate Advantage Visa® Card combines low rates and no fees into one attractive package. The credit card, from California-based credit union Golden 1 features no annual fee, no balance transfer fee, and more.
Credit unions typically offer interest rates significantly lower than rates for similarly marketed products from big banks. Golden 1 is no different, providing highly competitive rates for its credit card products. Cardholders can expect a competitive purchase APR starting as low as 11%, a very enticing interest rate for a credit card.
Golden 1 does not charge a balance transfer fee, making it even easier to pay down balances. That’s the good news, but the low APR offering from the Californian credit union isn’t perfect. In fact, the card struggles to justify its balance transfer pretensions by forgoing any 0% intro APR periods.
Consumers with an excellent credit score should consider other balance transfer options if they have a substantial balance to pay down. The Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card offers 21 introductory months of 0% APR on balance transfers, making it an excellent option to consider. Even better, that intro APR also applies to purchases, with cardholders enjoying 0% Intro APR for 12 months on purchases from date of account opening.
Related Article: What is the Longest 0% APR Credit Card?
No Hidden Fees
Beyond a lucrative cash rewards program, the Golden 1 Member Rate Advantage Visa also boasts no fees for many common charges. Cardmembers enjoy:
- $0 annual fee
- $0 over-the-credit-limit fee
- No penalty APR
One fee that Golden 1 does charge is a foreign transaction fee. Expect to pay a fee of 1% if the transaction price in US dollars should you take and use your Golden 1 credit card abroad.
Chance to Build Credit for Some
Credit limits with the Member Rate Advantage Visa start as low as $500, meaning the card is a solid option for those with near-Prime credit scores (or average credit). With regular payments and responsible credit usage (including keeping credit utilization below 30%)
Not sure the Golden 1 Member Rate Advantage Visa is right for you? Here are two other credit-builder credit cards for near-Prime credit scores:
Merrick Bank Double Your Line® Mastercard®
Mission Lane Visa® Credit Card
|Credit lines range from $550-$1,350 which double to $1,100-$2,700 after your account qualifies. No security deposit required
|See if you qualify instantly without harming your credit score
|Double your credit line by making at least your minimum payment on time each month for the first 7 months your account is open
|Get a higher credit line if you’re in good standing after making your first 6 payments on time
|See if you are pre-approved within minutes, without affecting your credit score
|Free, online credit score access for cardholders
|$0 to $72 annual fee
|$0 to $59 annual fee
Other Card Features
Other notable features of the Golden 1 Member Rate Advanatge Visa include access to lifestyle benefits, including Visa benefits and protections:
|Zero Fraud Liability
|Cardholder Inquiry Services
|Emergency Card Replacement
|Roadside Dispatch and Auto Collision Damage Waiver
|Lost/Stolen Card Reporting
|ID Navigator from Norton
Other features include:
- ID Navigator by NortonLifeLockTM: Provides updates that keep you informed and help you protect your personal Mobile Wallets: identity and information
- Make secure and easy purchases using Apple Pay®, Google Pay™, or Samsung Pay™
- Contactless Payments: Pay with ease! Tap your contactless credit card on the eligible point-of-sale terminals
Should You Apply for the Golden 1 Member Rate Advantage Visa® Card?
Looking for a convenient low-rate card you can use for purchases? The Member Rate Advantage credit card from Golden 1 makes it easy to manage your monthly credit card usage, consolidate balances, or pay down debt.
That said, the card does suffer from no interest-free promotional periods at the start of the account. The lack of an introductory APR on balance transfer is especially frustrating given the removal of balance transfer fees. Even a token six month0% intro APR period would help entice new applicants.
Overall, Golden 1’s Member Rate Advantage Visa® offers plenty to love, but falls just short.
Browse Other Credit Card Offers:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.