Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Family Security Visa Platinum Plus Rewards
Earn 1 Rewards Point for Every $1 Spent
- Regular Purchase APR 10.9% to 16.5% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 10.9% to 16.5% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 10.9% to 16.5% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- Redeem rewards points for merchandise, travel, gift cards, and more
- No balance transfer fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 10.9% to 16.5% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 10.9% to 16.5% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 10.9% to 16.5% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of the transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: $25
- 20% off + Free Shipping on Fanatics.com orders of $49+ - Offer Expires on April 15, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on December 22, 2021 - See Details
- Save 10% on Select Regularly Priced Jewelry - Offer Expires on February 03, 2022 - See Details
- Save 10% and complimentary daily breakfast for two with Preferred Hotels - Offer Expires on March 31, 2022 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in Brooklyn - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in New York - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in West Hollywood - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Save $25 in the US with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase with promotion code VISA38 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The Family Security Visa Platinum Plus Rewards Card is equal parts rewards credit card and low APR card. The card boasts an excellent APR on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances in addition to no fees for later two transactions. The card also benefits from earning 1x points for every dollar spent on purchases, with points applying to rewards in the CURewards Program, with redemptions including travel, gift cards, merchandise, and more. The card has no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Already bank with Family Security Credit Union
- Like the option of earning rewards plus getting a great low rate
- Plan to make a large purchase and pay the balance over time
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Family Security Visa Platinum Plus Rewards Review
The Family Security Visa Platinum Plus Rewards Card is a reward credit card that also benefits from an excellent APR. The Platinum Plus Rewards Card benefits from a similar interest rate as the Platinum Card, but with the addition of points for every purchase in the CURewards Program.
The Card earns a single point for every dollar spent on purchases. Points are redeemable through the CURewards portal or through their mobile app. CURewards is a program that is popular with many credit unions across the country and offers an array of redemption options, including merchandise, travel rewards, gift cards, and more.
Low-Interest Rates Make This a Versatile Credit Card
The Platinum Plus Rewards Card is far more than just a rewards credit card, however. The card also benefits from an impressive APR on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances. While the actual interest rates will vary depending on the credit score of each applicant, those with excellent credit scores can expect interest rates of around 12% – well below what you’d typically associate with a basic rewards card, who feature APRs in the 15% to 17% range.
This low rate makes the card a decent option for carrying a balance, financing a more significant purchase, or consolidating existing credit card debt into one lower payment each month. The APR might not be as good as that of the basic Platinum Visa Card from Family Security, but for those who also weren’t points, it is still an excellent option when compared to other rewards cards (and quite a few balance transfer cards from larger banks, too).
Who Can Join Family Security Credit Union?
Family Security Credit Union is an Alabama-based credit union with over twenty branch locations dotted throughout the state. While most of the branches center on Mobile and Huntsville, there are locations scattered throughout the state, making it a credit union that is equally useful in Birmingham as it is on the blue waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
Membership in the credit union is open to anyone who lives, works, worships, or attends schools in any of the 26 counties Family Security serves. Membership is also open to Ruby Tuesday employees, employees and retirees of the Specialty Restaurant Group, or the Compass Family of Companies.
Should You Apply for the Family Security Visa Platinum Plus Rewards Card?
The Family Security Visa Platinum Plus Rewards Card is a credit union card that carefully walks the fine line of rewards and low rates. It manages to do so impressively, offering a single point for every dollar spent in the CURewards Program, plus a typical APR almost 5% lower than the national average.
While neither the point-earning potential of the card or the APR are industry-leading, they mesh well enough to provide a credit card that is low on fees and high on value. Credit union cards aren’t meant for everyone, but they shouldn’t be anyways. After all, they fill a niche in the market that caters to the needs of their members – and for those members of Family Security Credit Union, the Platinum Plus Rewards is a great option. It is an everyday credit card that is also useful for consolidating existing balances – all without an annual fee. What’s not to love?