Last updated on July 3rd, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Commerce Bank Special Connections® Mastercard
Commerce Bank Special Connections® Mastercard
- 19.24% to 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 19.24% to 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness Cash Advance APR
- 0% for the first 12 months Intro Purchase APR
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 3% cash back on coffee shops, fast food, and ridesharing
- 2% cash back on gas and restaurants
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- 0% introductory APR for 12 months from account opening
- Connect your debit and credit cards in one account
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for the first 12 months
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.24% to 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 12 months
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.24% to 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 32.24%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of each transaction in U.S. Dollars; 2% of each transaction made in currencies otherthan U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
Commerce Bank Special Connections Mastercard Review
The Commerce Bank Special Connections Mastercard is a unique credit card offering from Commerce Bank. The bank describes the card as a way to “unlock the full potential” of the Commerce Bank Credit Card, as it provides the freedom for users to choose to pay with either their Commerce Credit Card or their connected Commerce checking account.
All a cardholder needs to do to connect the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Mastercard to an applicable checking account, is simply link the accounts online through Commerce Bank. Once connected account holders can access both of their accounts at the ATM and will have the freedom to pay either with their credit card or debit card, depending on the retailer.
While the account-linking features of the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Mastercard are nice, they aren’t remarkable. After all, most places likely will accept only credit, meaning the cards multipurpose usability is extremely geographically limited. Fortunately, the card also is a capable rewards credit card as well.
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Mastercard earns unlimited cash back for everyday purchases, with improved rates in special categories. Cardholders receive 3% cash back, for instance, on purchases at coffee shops, fast food joints, or when using ridesharing apps like Lyft or Uber. Cardholders also receive 2% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases, as well as 1% cash back on all other purchases made with the card. If cash back isn’t your chosen reward, the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa allows users to claim their rewards as travel, merchandise, statement credits, and more.
New account holders also benefit from a special introductory rate: 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 1 months after opening an account. After that, they can expect a typical APR of around 17%, which while not amazing, is average when compared to similar cards. The card also benefits from no annual fee and comprehensive liability and fraud protections.ge.
Should You Apply for the Commerce Bank Special Connections Mastercard?
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Mastercard is a unique offering that provides flexibility with all purchases. The ability to select using the card as a debit card or a credit card is an interesting proposition, though one that only appeals to existing Commerce Bank customers. Fortunately, there’s enough value here to entice even the non-Commerce banking customer to consider switching sides and opening an account.