Childrens Miracle Network Visa Platinum
Help the Children's Miracle Network with Every Purchase
- Regular Purchase APR 9.8% to 12.25% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 9.8% to 12.25% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 9.8% to 12.25% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR n/a
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- No balance transfer of cash advance fees
- Great low APR
- Intro Purchase APR: n/a
- Regular Purchase APR: 9.8% to 12.25% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 9.8% to 12.25% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 9.8% to 12.25% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Penalty APR: 17.99%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $37
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
At a Glance
The Children’s Miracle Network Visa Platinum Card from CAMPUS USA Credit Union is a charitable credit card that doesn’t forget that charity starts at home. Part of every transaction is donated to the Children’s Miracle Network, with over $1.5 million donated to date. The card also offers an impressively-low fixed APR, no fees for balance transfers or cash advances, and Visa protections and perks – all for no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Already bank with CAMPUS USA Credit Union
- Want to help out UF Health’s children’s hospital with every purchase they make
- Want a great, low, fixed-APR on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
CAMPUS Children’s Miracle Network Visa Platinum Card Review
CAMPUS USA Credit Union is a Gainesville, Florida-based credit union that is open to residents of the 12 counties the association serves, employees of the University of Florida or UF Health, as well as their families. The credit union is also open to those who are members of AAA South, Marion County Humane Society, the Matheson Historical Society, or the University of Florida Alumni Association, as well as their immediate family members.
The CAMPUS Children’s Miracle Network Visa Platinum is an excellent opportunity for CAMPUS members to help out a local cause while saving money on balances they plan to carry at the same time.
What Is the Children’s Miracle Network?
The Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) is a non-profit charitable organization that raises money for children’s hospitals and medical research across the United States.
CAMPUS USA’s CAMPUS Children’s Miracle Network Card works in conjunction with UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital, which treats over 16,000 children with trauma, 2,000 kids with cancer, 900 babies in the NICU, and performs over 2,300 surgeries on kids every day.
While the charity also raises funds through major corporate partners, like Walmart, Costco, Wawa, and more, there is always an urgent need for funds – and that’s where CAMPUS USA cardholders come in to play.
Help Children’s Miracle Network with Every Purchase
The CMN Visa Platinum Card donates a portion of every purchase towards the Children’s Miracle Network. According to CAMPUS USA, this donation is made even if the cardholder pays their entire statement balance each month, which is nice.
One of the frustrating aspects of the CAMPUS Children’s Miracle Network Visa Platinum is that there is very little (in fact, we could find none) as to what the actual donation is to the charity for every purchase cardholder make. What we can say for sure, however, are these two facts:
- CAMPUS USA Credit Union donates a part of the interchange fee for every transaction to the Children’s Miracle Network. The interchange fee is the charge paid between two banks for the acceptance of a credit card transaction. Typically, credit card interchanges amount to somewhere between 1.5% to 2% of the transaction, so the actual donation is based on that figure.
- To date, CAMPUS USA has donated over $1.5 million to the charity since the program’s inception in 2009. That means regardless of the actual donation this card makes a real difference to the Children’s Miracle Network and the work it accomplishes.
Treat Yourself to a Great Low APR
Just because cardholders can use this card to help children in need, that doesn’t mean they can’t also help themselves at the same time, right?
The CMN Visa enjoys a low, fixed-rate APR on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances. The exact rate varies depending on the applicant’s creditworthiness, but those with excellent credit scores can expect their regular APR to be below 10%, while those with good scores will receive a rate that is closer to 12%. Regardless of the rate new cardholders receive, they’ll get an interest rate that is tough to beat.
No Introductory Offers
While the charitable donations and typical interest rates are two great features of the Children’s Miracle Network Visa Platinum, they are slightly let down by the lack of any intro bonus offers. There is no 05 intro APR to speak of for either balance transfers or purchases, which hurt the balance transfer pretentions of the card.
Sure, the lack of fees on balance transfers and cash advances help, but if you put a greater emphasis on helping pay down debt to charitable donations, this likely isn’t the card for you.
Should You Apply for the Children’s Miracle Network Visa Platinum Card?
Overall, the Children’s Miracle Network Visa Platinum Card from CAMPUS USA is a high-quality entry into the charity credit card space. While the donation made with each purchase (likely to be around 0.08% per transaction) isn’t exceptional, it is on par with other charitable credit cards, such as the Arbor Day Foundation Rewards Visa from Commerce Bank or the Stand Up to Cancer Mastercard from Fifth Third Bank. The fact that the card benefits a children’s charity is a particularly appealing proposition, as is the fact that CAMPUS has raised over $1.5 million to date for the CMN.
The card pails in comparison to the amount potentially donatable to charity when compared to Commerce Bank’s Charity Charge World Mastercard. That earns 1% cash back on all purchases which are funneled into the charity of the cardholder’s choice, with more than a million causes to choose from. That card, however, has a much higher, variable APR, with the lowest possible purchase interest rate almost 7% higher than the Children’s Miracle Network Card – and the balance transfer and cash advance APRs almost tripe what you’d get from CAMPUS USA’s credit card offer.
The Children’s Miracle Network Visa Platinum Card might not be the perfect charity credit card, but it has proven time and time again to get significant sums to a worthy cause – and for CAMPUS USA Credit Union members, it’s an excellent option to help themselves – and the children at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital at the same time.