Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 10th, 2021
CAMPUS Visa Platinum Rewards
Receive an Introductory 10,000 Bonus Points
- Regular Purchase APR 10.15% to 17.15% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 10.15% to 17.15% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 10.15% to 17.15% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- 10,000 bonus points after making $500 in purchases in the first 90 days
- Low APR
- No balance transfer fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 10.15% to 17.15% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 10.15% to 17.15% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 10.15% to 17.15% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Penalty APR: 19.99%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of the transaction amount in U.S dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $37
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
At a Glance
The CAMPUS Visa Platinum Rewards Card features a generous introductory points bonus and a low, variable APR – all for no annual fee. The card, from Florida credit union CAMPUS USA, earns a single point for every dollar spent on purchases, with points applying towards rewards such as merchandise, gift cards, travel, and more.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Already bank with CAMPUS USA
- Want to earn rewards with every purchase
- Plan to use their card to make at least $166 worth of purchases for each of the first three months
- Don’t mind a small foreign transaction fee
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
CAMPUS Visa Platinum Rewards Card Review
The CAMPUS Visa Platinum Rewards is a basic, effective, and worthwhile rewards credit card from CAMPUS USA Credit Union in Gainesville, Florida.
The CAMPUS Rewards Program
The CAMPUS Visa Platinum Rewards Card earns rewards points at a rate that is common with other credit union rewards cards. The card earns a single point for every dollar spent, with points applicable towards the usual type of redemption options, including:
- Merchandise from leading brands and designers
- Gift cards
- Cash back in the form of statement credits
- Travel, including airfare, hotels, and rental cars
A Quality Introductory Bonus
The Platinum Rewards Card comes with a very nice introductory bonus of 10,000 rewards points after meeting minimum spending requirements in the first 90 days. New cardholders must make $500 in purchases to get the 10,000 points, which isn’t too bad, considering that equates to approximately $166 per month for the first three months.
Credit union rewards points typically have a value of about one cent per point, making this bonus offer worth about $100. One hundred dollars for $500 in spending is a pretty good return on investment and adds a little “oomph” to the Platinum Rewards Card’s rather lackluster earning potential.
A Decent Variable APR
Beyond the ability to earn points, the Visa Platinum Rewards Card also features a competitive, variable APR on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances. While the rates are nowhere near as good as those with the other CAMPUS USA personal credit card options (the Children’s Miracle Network Visa Platinum Card or the CAMPUS Visa Platinum), the rate is still extremely competitive, with excellent credit scores enjoying an APR sub-12%. This quality interest rate is, of course, in addition to the rewards points the card earns – something the other options don’t provide.
Other Features of the Card
As the Rewards Card is also a Visa Platinum Card, it has many of the same features as it’s a rewards-free sibling. The card has no fees for balance transfers or cash advances, for example, though it does have a 1% foreign transaction fee and a penalty APR.
The card also comes with the benefits commonly associated with a Visa Traditional credit card. These include emergency card replacement and emergency cash disbursement, Visa’s Zero Liability coverage for fraudulent purchases, and travel perks, such as pay-per-use Roadside Dispatch and Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver.
Who Can Join CAMPUS USA?
CAMPUS USA membership is currently open to those who live in the following 12 counties:
- Alachua County
- Clay County
- Columbia County
- Gadsden County
- Jefferson County
- Lake County
- Leon County
- Madison County
- Marion County
- Sumter County
- Suwannee County
- Wakulla County
Membership is also open to those who are:
- An employee of the University of Florida or UF Health
- Members of the University of Florida Alumni Association
- Members of the Marion County Humane Society,
- A member of the Matheson Historical Society
- Belong to AAA South
- Immediate family of any of the individuals listed above
Should You Apply for the CAMPUS Visa Platinum Rewards Card?
The CAMPUS Visa Platinum Rewards Card is a decent rewards credit card that is boosted by it’s variable APR and bonus points offer. The card earns a single point for every dollar sent, with new accounts earning an extra 10,000 points (worth $100) when they use their new card to make $500 in purchases in the first 90 days.
This point-earning isn’t spectacular when compared to the rewards on offer from larger issuers, but CAMPUS more than makes up for that with a very competitive variable interest rate on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances. The rate for those with the best credit scores is less than 12% – almost five-percentage points lower than the national average APR for a rewards credit card.
The Visa Platinum Rewards Cards might not be as exciting as the Chase Freedom Unlimited or the Discover It Chrome Card, but the low APR easily trumps both of these cards, as does the lack of fees for balance transfers or cash advances.