| Last updated on October 27th, 2023
CCU Platinum Visa
CCU Platinum Visa
- 14.70% to 25.70% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 14.70% to 25.70% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 14.70% to 25.70% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 365 days from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The CCU Platinum Visa Card from Consumers Credit Union is a low APR card that is short on perks. While the card offers a competitive APR on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances, it doesn’t provide any introductory bonuses or perks, nor does it refrain from applying foreign transaction fees, or fees for cash advances or balance transfers. The card does offer no annual fee, however, as well as the perks and protections you’d typically associate with a Visa card.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- No annual fee
- No fees on balance transfers or cash advances
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 365 days from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.70% to 25.70% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 365 days from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.70% to 25.70% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 14.70% to 25.70% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
- You're already a member of Consumers Credit Union
- You want a basic card with a decent APR
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee
CCU Platinum Visa Review
The CCU Platinum Visa Card from Consumers Credit Union is a basic-yet-effective low APR credit card. Consumers Credit Union is a leading credit union in Illinois, meaning the card is an excellent option for those looking for a card that offers competitive rates and living in the Waukegan, Schaumberg, or Arlington Heights areas of Northern Illinois.
The CCU Platinum Visa Card features a competitive APR of around 12%, though the exact rates will vary based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate. While 12% isn’t a bad rate for purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances, it may not be the best offer available. Credit Union cards are known for typically having very competitive rates when compared to similar cards from bigger lenders, and while the CCU Platinum Visa Card does offer competitive rates, they aren’t exceedingly better.
The lack of rewards further hurts the CCU Platinum Visa Card’s case – something that many cards at a similar APR point do offer. While the CCU Platinum Visa Card benefits from no annual fee, and the typical perks and fraud protections found in Visa credit cards, these aren’t enough to overcome the flaws that are present.
Low APR cards generally don’t offer much in terms of rewards – after all, they are commonly great for carrying balances or conducting balance transfers. When the APR isn’t noticeably lower than those of competitors, however, the lack of rewards and perks becomes a weight that quickly drags down the value of the card in question.
Should You Apply for the CCU Platinum Visa?
Ultimately, the CCU Platinum Visa Card is an okay tool for financing more significant purchases if you are a regular member of Consumers Credit Union. It isn’t however, a good reason to consider joining the credit union, as better offers may be available from other institutions.
Browse Other Card Offers from CCU:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.