Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 11th, 2021
CCU Platinum Visa
Enjoy Generous Credit Limits and Great Interest Rates
- Regular Purchase APR 9.7% to 20.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 9.7% to 20.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 9.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- No fees on balance transfers or cash advances
- Regular Purchase APR: 9.7% to 20.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 6.45% to 17.45% for 15 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 9.7% to 20.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 9.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
At a Glance
The CCU Platinum Visa Card from Consumers Credit Union is a low APR card that is short on perks. While the card offers a competitive APR on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances, it doesn’t provide any introductory bonuses or perks, nor does it refrain from applying foreign transaction fees, or fees for cash advances or balance transfers. The card does offer no annual fee, however, as well as the perks and protections you’d typically associate with a Visa card.
Apply for This Card If You:
- Are already a member of Consumers Credit Union
- Want a basic card with a decent APR
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
CCU Platinum Visa Review
The CCU Platinum Visa Card from Consumers Credit Union is a basic-yet-effective low APR credit card. Consumers Credit Union is a leading credit union in Illinois, meaning the card is an excellent option for those looking for a card that offers competitive rates and living in the Waukegan, Schaumberg, or Arlington Heights areas of Northern Illinois.
The CCU Platinum Visa Card features a competitive APR of around 12%, though the exact rates will vary based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate. While 12% isn’t a bad rate for purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances, it may not be the best offer available. Credit Union cards are known for typically having very competitive rates when compared to similar cards from bigger lenders, and while the CCU Platinum Visa Card does offer competitive rates, they aren’t exceedingly better.
The lack of rewards further hurts the CCU Platinum Visa Card’s case – something that many cards at a similar APR point do offer. While the CCU Platinum Visa Card benefits from no annual fee, and the typical perks and fraud protections found in Visa credit cards, these aren’t enough to overcome the flaws that are present.
Low APR cards generally don’t offer much in terms of rewards – after all, they are commonly great for carrying balances or conducting balance transfers. When the APR isn’t noticeably lower than those of competitors, however, the lack of rewards and perks becomes a weight that quickly drags down the value of the card in question.
Should You Apply for the CCU Platinum Visa?
Ultimately, the CCU Platinum Visa Card is an okay tool for financing more significant purchases if you are a regular member of Consumers Credit Union. It isn’t however, a good reason to consider joining the credit union, as better offers may be available from other institutions.