Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 11th, 2021
CCU Platinum Rewards Visa
Earn 1 Rewards Point for Every $1 Spent
- Regular Purchase APR 11.7% to 22.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 11.7% to 22.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 11.7% to 22.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- Automatic enrollment in CURewards Program
- Exchange points for merchandise, travel, and experiences
- Earn 1 point for every dollar spent
- Comprehensive fraud protection
- No annual fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 11.7% to 22.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 8.45% to 19.45% for 15 months after account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 11.7% to 22.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 11.7% to 22.7% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of the transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
At a Glance
The CCU Platinum Rewards Visa Card is an uncomplicated rewards credit card from Illinois-based Consumers Credit Union. The card earns a flat-rate one point for every dollar spent on purchases – points which are applicable towards rewards such as travel, merchandise, gift cards, and more. Points earned through the CURewards program have a shelf life of three years, meaning while you have time to save, you don’t have an eternity. The card also features a reasonably competitive APR and no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want a no-nonsense rewards credit card
- Don’t want to pay any annual fees’
- Want to earn rewards for everyday purchases
- Already bank with Consumers Credit Union
CCU Platinum Rewards Visa Review
The CCU Platinum Rewards Visa is a rewards credit card from Consumers Credit Union, based in Northern Illinois. The card features a straightforward rewards system through the CURewards program, a rewards program linking credit unions from across the nation. CCU Platinum Rewards Visa cardholders earn a single point for every dollar they spend on purchases, with points valid for rewards such as travel, cruises, rental cars, merchandise, gift cards, and more. Points earned through the program are valid for three years.
The CCU Platinum Rewards Visa Card features an APR for purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances starting from around 14%, though this rate may be higher, depending upon both the creditworthiness of the applicant and the Prime Rate. While 14% is competitive with other similarly marketed rewards credit cards, the APR isn’t exceptional, as there are many other rewards cards out there with a lower starting APR. That’s not to say that the CCU Platinum Rewards Visa has a terrible APR, mind you, just that it isn’t as “competitive” as advertised.
Should You Apply for the CCU PLatinum Rewards Visa?
Despite the average APR, however, the CCU Platinum Rewards Visa is a competent rewards card thanks to its flat-rate rewards earning potential and lack of an annual fee. Sure, the card might charge fees for foreign transactions, balance transfers, and cash advances, but these are transactions that are few and far between. As an everyday earner – especially for those who pay their balance in full each month – the CCU Platinum Rewards Visa performs just fine as a daily credit card.
The CCU Platinum Rewards Visa also comes with the typical perks and protections users have come to expect from a Visa. Cardholders receive comprehensive fraud and purchase protections, for instance, as well as auto rental collision insurance and travel and emergency assistance, should anything happen when life takes them far from home.