Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Barnes & Noble Mastercard®
Receive $25 Barnes & Noble Gift Card for Every 2,500 Points Earned
- Regular Purchase APR 13.99% or 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 13.99% or 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn a $25 Barnes & Noble Gift Card after your first purchase
- Earn 5% in points on all Barnes & Noble purchases
- 2X points for restaurants
- 1X points on all other purchases
- Complimentary year of Barnes & Noble Membership after spending $7,500
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.99% or 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months on transfers made within 45 days from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99% or 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $37
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $37
- Take a hike with an award-winning landscape photographer – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Immerse yourself in the world of Italian food and wine – Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 – See Details
- Save as you shop at London Designer Outlet – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Achieve home office harmony with a Feng Shui session – Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 – See Details
- Take a flawless makeup masterclass at Cosmetics à la Carte – Offer Expires on June 30, 2021 – See Details
- Learn to DJ like an expert – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Shop like a celebrity with LookStyler – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Upgrade your stay in Belfast and see the city in style – Offer Expires on March 31, 2021 – See Details
- Master gin and tonics with tips from two expert restaurateurs – Offer Expires on May 28, 2021 – See Details
- Get a taste of the pirate’s life with Miami Children’s Museum – Offer Expires on January 22, 2031 – See Details
- View All Deals –
At A Glance
Ideal for the avid Barnes & Noble shopper, now you can fund your ever-growing library with the co-branded Barnes & Noble Mastercard®. Earn 5% cash back on all B&N purchases, a $25 gift card every time you earn 2500 points and a free year of Barnes & Noble Membership for free shipping and additional discounts.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Annually spend $7500 or more at Barnes & Nobles
- Enjoy rewards in the form of automatically dispensed $25 gift cards
- Would like to earn 5% cash back on all Barnes & Noble purchases
- Want a card without an annual fee
Barnes & Noble Mastercard® Review
Cardholders can immediately feed their love of the written word as they’ll receive a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card bonus earned after making their first purchase – and continue receiving $25 gift cards for every 2,500 points accumulated. Earn 2X points per dollar spent at restaurants and 1X points for everything else. Both online and in-store purchases at Barnes & Noble will earn 5% cash back that’s applied directly to the statement balance. While there is 0% introductory APR for 15 months on balance transfers it will, unfortunately, will not count as a qualified purchase for earning points.
Double Points On Dining
It’s not very common to see a retail card offer double points for non-brand related purchases, so the 2X points for restaurants is a welcome surprise that significantly amps up the card’s point-earning capabilities. A cardholder would have to spend $1,250 at restaurants to earn a $25 gift card. Divided over the span of a year, it would require spending $105 per month in dining.
Extra Rewards for Book Lovers
While not an unreasonable amount, there are many other cards options with far more lucrative (and flexible) dining rewards. Even the book lover who only shops at Barnes & Noble would find a better value with a high-return dining card. Take, for example, the CapitalOne Savor Card, which earns 4% cash back on restaurants which could then be used on books and without having to wait to meet a minimum redemption amount.
As such, the best use of the Barnes & Noble Mastercard® is solely to take advantage of the 5% cash back from Barnes & Noble purchases. Since the card has no annual fee, there’s no downside to owning this card for the (minimal) book-buying savings. However, the card does offer one incentive for the frequent Barnes & Noble shopper to use this card elsewhere.
Once the card spend reaches $7,500 cardholders will automatically be enrolled in a Barnes & Noble Membership (a $25 value). This includes free shipping, 40% off hardcover bestsellers, 10% off everything else, and other exclusive coupons and sales. While a nice gesture, these are the sorts of perks that should automatically come with a retailer’s credit card and it’s hard to justify spending $7,500 just to save $25.
Should You Apply for the Barnes & Noble Mastercard®?
Overall, the Barnes & Noble Mastercard® is only worthwhile for the avid book-reader who would normally spend close to $7,500 on books and could take advantage of the free Barnes & Noble membership. The reward earning potential of the card isn’t substantial, but the 5% savings might make the card worth holding onto. Although the Barnes & Noble Mastercard® does offer dining rewards, the only redemption option is for a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card – and requires a hefty bit of spending on dining to earn. The casual book-buyer is better off keeping this card tucked away in their wallet until making a B&N purchase and finding a more flexible rewards card.eXT