Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 6th, 2021
BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students
0% APR on Purchases for the First 18 Months
- Regular Purchase APR 12.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 12.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 15.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Fair , No Credit Required
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 18 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Introductory 0% purchase APR for 18 months
- Introductory 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers made within 60 days of account opening
- No fee on balance transfers made within 60 days of account opening
- Access to credit and budgeting education and free monthly FICO Score reports
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 18 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 12.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 18 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 12.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 15.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $29
- Take a hike with an award-winning landscape photographer - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Immerse yourself in the world of Italian food and wine - Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 - See Details
- Exclusive tableware and home d?cor items from porcelain - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Go on a guided truffle-hunting expedition in the Motovun Forest - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Embark on a journey through the city of the Iron Throne - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Discover Agra beyond the Taj Mahal on a virtual tour - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Play the Hidden Network of Private Courses - Offer Expires on December 31, 2022 - See Details
- Marvel at a celebrity stylist's star-studded fashion collection - Offer Expires on June 01, 2021 - See Details
- Embark on a virtual trip to the Banaras' ghats, Sarnath, and more - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Get a glimpse into India's history through the Gujarati thali - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
Please Note: This review is in the process of being updated by the BestCards team
At a Glance
The BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students is a no-frills card for college students with little to no credit history who are looking to build and monitor the health of their credit.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are a student just starting out building your credit history
- Are looking for a great introductory APR offer on purchases and balance transfers
- Want a credit card with no annual fees
- Want the ability to monitor your credit score monthly
BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students Review
The BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students was designed with credit card beginners in mind: no annual fee, no penalty APR, and access to free monthly FICO® Score credit checks. It is a very rudimentary credit card without a rewards program or introductory bonus offer. Instead, cardholders will find themselves with one of Bank of America’s most forgiving interest rates and educational tools to help get their finances on the right track. To apply, you must be a current college student at the time of the application. Keep in mind that you may need to prove your student status by showing a student ID at a physical Bank of America location (Not a student but still want to build your credit? Check out the
College is known for the big-ticket essentials that require substantial, upfront costs: tuition, student housing, meal plans, textbooks, etc. and this card handles those nicely. The introductory 0% APR for the first 18 months offers peace of mind to students and gives over one year of interest-free breathing room for a payoff of those large expenditures. The same interest-free offer also applies to balance transfers made within the first 60 days, in the unlikely circumstance where a BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students cardholder already has debt elsewhere. While it may be uncommon for credit card novices to have existing debt, it is a practical perk for those who want to a card with a lower interest rate.
Students who have intentions of traveling abroad should be wary of this card as each purchase made outside of the U.S. will incur a 3% in foreign transaction fees. Additionally, cash advances, balance transfers (after the first 60 days of opening an account), and wire transfers from non-financial institutions have additional fees attached ranging from 3-5% each.
Should You Apply for the BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students?
Overall, if you’re just beginning to build your credit, there are certainly more enticing options out there that will put money back in your pocket for everyday purchases you already make. However, in order to qualify for most higher-tier rewards cards, you’ll need some sort of previous credit history – which could put many students at a disadvantage. If your primary goal is to get your feet wet in the world of credit, then the BankAmericard® Credit Card for Students card will serve you well. Once you’ve established your credit and have developed good financial habits, you can upgrade to a credit card with actual rewards.