The list of credit cards that offer price protection has been declining for years. While more card issuers are seeking to roll back this benefit, Capital One is now adding it to some of its personal credit cards. Here’s what you need to know about Capital One introducing Price Protection to its World and World Elite Mastercard products.
Capital One Adds New Protection Benefit
Capital One personal credit cards that bear the World Mastercard or World Elite Mastercard branding will now offer Price Protection coverage. Previously, only Capital One Spark business cards provided this benefit to cardholders.
How Does Price Protection Work?
Price Protection is a form of purchase insurance. The benefit allows customers to get a refund for the difference if they purchase an item with their credit card, but find a better deal elsewhere. As one rewards expert puts it, “if you buy a laptop for $500, and it later becomes available from the same retailer or a different retailer for $400, Capital One will refund you $100.”
New Feature Details:
- Capital One World or World Elite Mastercard holders may file a maximum of 4 claims per year, with a maximum of $250 per claim
- Cardholders have 120 days from the purchase date to file a claim
- Purchases must be made entirely with the eligible card
- Capital One Visa cards are not eligible
To file a claim, an eligible cardholder should visit www.mycardbenefits.com or call the Capital One customer service hotline at 1-888-531-4227.
Is the Feature Worth It?
Any additional protection for a cardholder is welcome news, but is Price Protection worth it? The short answer is yes, but other services provide a similar role. The Paribus service – also owned by Capital One, lets anyone sign up for instant alerts if their purchases are found elsewhere for less.
In many ways, the return of the Price Protection feature is nothing more than a consumer-friendly headline-grabber by Capital One. Still, the additional layer of customer service is nothing but a plus in the long-term.
What Other Credit Cards Offer Price Protection?
While Capital One rolling out Price Protection to World and World Elite Mastercards is excellent news, there are already several credit cards that provide this feature. This list includes all Visa and Mastercard business credit cards from Capital One.
Beyond the new additions, the following cards offer Price Protection:
- Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business
- Capital One® Spark® Miles Select for Business
- Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business
- Capital One® Spark® Cash Select for Business
- Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business
- Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card
- Rakuten Cash Back Visa® Platinum Credit Card
Related Article: Payment Networks Aim to Expand “Click to Pay” Digital Checkout