Visa Signature® Black Plus
Earn 1.5 RBC Rewards Points on Purchases
- Regular Purchase APR 9.99% to 19.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 9.99% to 19.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 19.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $75
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn rewards faster than with the Visa Signature Black
- Make transaction in the U.S. dollar and avoid daily currency fluctuations
- Enjoy Visa Signature® concierge service
- Earn 1.5 RBC Rewards points for every $1 spent on your card
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 9.99% to 19.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 9.99% to 19.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 19.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3.5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $75
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1.5% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- 20% off + Free Shipping on Fanatics.com orders of $49+ - Offer Expires on April 15, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on December 22, 2021 - See Details
- Save 10% on Select Regularly Priced Jewelry - Offer Expires on February 03, 2022 - See Details
- Save 10% and complimentary daily breakfast for two with Preferred Hotels - Offer Expires on March 31, 2022 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in Brooklyn - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in New York - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in West Hollywood - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Save $25 in the US with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase with promotion code VISA38 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The RBC Bank Visa Signature® Black Plus card is a rewards card aimed at Canadians who are looking for a U.S. credit card. The card offers, a 0% introductory APR, followed by very competitive rates after that, and a rewards program with more significant perks than its sister card – the Visa Signature® Black. Cardholders can expect to earn 1.5 points for every dollar spent. These improved rewards come at the cost of a $75 annual fee, however.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are a Canadian citizen who frequently visits, or makes purchases, in the U.S.
- Want to work with family or friends to pool points for exciting rewards
- Want a rewards card with a low APR for purchases
- Make frequent purchases to justify the $75 annual fee for improved rewards points
Visa Signature® Black Plus Review
The Visa Signature® Black Plus from RBC Bank is an impressive rewards card geared primarily towards those Canadians looking for a U.S. cash back card or rewards credit card. Whereas many Canadian-specific credit cards calculate payments in Canadian Dollars, the Visa Signature® Black Plus, like RBC’s other Visa Signature® offering, completes all transactions in U.S. Dollars. This impressive selling point allows cardholders to avoid the daily fluctuations that occur in currency exchanges.
How to Earn Rewards
Visa Signature® Black Plus members can expect to receive 1.5 RBC Rewards points for every dollar they spend on their card – points which are redeemable for gift cards from major retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, Starbucks, and more; gadgets from the hottest brands on the market; travel; experiences; and much more. This point total – superior to the 1 point-per-dollar of the Signature® Black – means cardholders can accrue points at an even higher rate.
Share the Value
Like its sister card, one of the unique features of RBC’s Rewards points scheme is the ability to pool points with family members or friends. Pooling allows a faster accumulation of points, meaning cardholders can more easily reach the rewards they want. RBC Rewards points can even be converted for 1.25% cash back, allowing members the option to transfer points to an RBC Royal Bank account.
Beware the Annual Fee
The improvements in both cash back and point earning with the Visa Signature® Black Plus come at a cost, however. That cost is a $75 annual fee – a price tag not found in the Visa Signature® Black card. This fee means applicants should weigh cautiously how they pan to use their card, as while the Black Plus offers 1.5 points per dollar, for those who rarely pay with credit, this may not be a vast improvement of the 1 point per dollar reward rate of the Black.
Visa Signature® Black Plus from RBC Bank members benefit from Visa’s Signature® concierge service, which helps with booking travel, exclusive car rental privileges and protections, and access to bookings at Visa Signature’s® Luxury Hotel Collection. Cardholders also get a variety of other protections, including auto rental collision damage waivers, 24/7 emergency and travel assistance services, pay-per-use roadside assistance and more.
Should You Apply for the Visa Signature® Black Plus?
Overall, the Visa Signature® Black Plus is a satisfactory option for Canadians that’s ant a U.S.-based credit card. The decent APR and 1.5 points on purchases is nice, but the annual fee is a sticking point – especially when you consider that the RBC Bank Visa Signature® Black card earns 1% back but has no annual fee.