Last updated on February 26th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Visa Signature® Black
Visa Signature® Black
- 18.24% to 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 18.24% to 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 27.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 6 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The RBC Bank Visa Signature® Black card is a rewards card aimed at a Canadian audience – especially those who frequent the U.S. The card offers no annual fee, a 0% introductory APR, followed by very completive rates after that, and an effective rewards program. Cardholders can expect to earn 1 point for every dollar spent – points which are poolable and redeemable for rewards, travel, or cash back.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Make transaction in the U.S. dollar and avoid daily currency fluctuations
- Earn 1 RBC Rewards point for every $1 spent on your card
- No annual fee
- Enjoy Visa Signature® concierge service
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.24% to 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 18.24% to 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 27.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3.5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1.5% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- You're a Canadian who frequently visits, or makes purchases, in the U.S.
- You want the excellent service and protections Visa Signature offers
- You want to work with loved ones to pool points for exciting rewards
- You want a rewards card with a low APR for purchases
Visa Signature® Black Review
The Visa Signature® Black from RBC Bank is an impressive rewards card designed especially for Canadians who frequently travel to -and make purchases in – the United States. Whereas many Canadian-specific credit cards calculate payments in Canadian Dollars, the Visa Signature® Black from RBC Bank ensures all transactions are completed in U.S. Dollars. While this may not seem like a big deal, making all payments in one single currency allows cardholders to avoid the daily fluctuations that occur in international currency exchanges.
The Visa Signature® range is known for its reward point earning potential, and the Visa Signature® Black is no different. Cardholders can expect to receive 1 RBC Rewards point for every dollar they spend on their card – points which are redeemable for gift cards from major retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, Starbucks, and more; gadgets from the hottest brands on the market; travel; experiences; and much more.
One of the unique features of RBC’s Rewards points scheme is the ability to pool points with friends and family. Pooling allows a faster accumulation of points, meaning you can more easily reach the rewards you crave. RBC Rewards points can even be converted for 1% cash back, allowing you to transfer your points to an RBC Royal Bank account.
Visa Signature® Black from RBC Bank cardholders also benefit from Visa’s Signature® concierge service, which helps with planning future travel, exclusive car rental booking privileges, and access to bookings at Visa Signature’s® Luxury Hotel Collection. Visa Signature® cardholders also get a variety of protections, including auto rental collision damage waivers, pay-per-use roadside assistance, 24/7 emergency, and travel assistance services, and more.
Should You Apply for the Visa Signature® Black from RBC?
For Canadians that want a card that offers decent rewards in the U.S., Visa Signature® Black is a strong option to consider. The case for the card is further aided by no annual fee, an initial 6 months of 0% APR, and a highly competitive APR after that. For those with excellent credit, they can expect rates to be well below 15%, depending (of course) on both creditworthiness and the Prime Rate at the time.