Last updated on February 23rd, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card
Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card
- 20.24%, 26.24% or 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 20.24%, 26.24% or 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 30.49% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card allows loyal customers to earn points from Princess Cruises purchases that can be redeemed towards free bookings, onboard amenities, a statement credit, or travel with partner airlines and hotels.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn 10,000 bonus points after you use your card for the first time
- 2X points per $1 spent on all Princess purchases
- 1X point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Redeem points for cruise rewards, onboard credits, special on board amenities and discounted airfare
- Regular Purchase APR: 20.24%, 26.24% or 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months on transfers made within 45 days from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 20.24%, 26.24% or 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 30.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You regularly book cruises with Princess Cruises
- You will use this card at least once every 7 months
- You want a card with no annual fee
Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card Review
The Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card will earn new cardholders a 10,000 point sign up bonus, 2X points for all Princess purchases, and 1X for everything else. As a brand-specific card, the return on Princess-related purchases is underwhelming at best. Even loyal Princess Cruises patrons will find it difficult to amass a large number of points. The signup bonus is easy to earn (points are rewarded after making your first purchase, no purchase minimum) but still doesn’t provide much value as it requires a substantial amount of points to cover the cost of a free booking.
How to Redeem
Redemption options are slightly more flexible than its rewards categories – but not by much. You can redeem points for free cruises, onboard credits and amenities, discounted airfare with their partner airlines, a statement credit, or gift cards. If you don’t have the entirety of points required, Princess Cruises does allow redemption for a partial amount. However, the majority of point redemption options require a minimum of $50 worth of points (5000).
To provide some perspective on the value of individual points, a Champagne Balcony Breakfast (a $45 value) will require 5000 points. As such, the signup bonus of 10,000 doesn’t go very far with this cruise line. When it comes to redeeming points for statement credit, the actual worth varies depending on the number of points being redeemed at once.
- $50 – $499.99 statement credit = point value of 1 cent
- $500.00 – $2000.99 statement credit = point value of 1.25 cents
- $2001.00 – $4000.99 statement credit = point value of 1.5 cents
- $4001.00 – statement credit = point value of 2 cents
Although points can have an above-average value – the poor returns on the reward categories can make it difficult to achieve a substantial amount to make owning this card worth the inquiry on your credit score. On top of the poor earning potential, you risk losing your points if you do not use your card at least once every 7 months – and because of the aforementioned weak earning potential, there’s little incentive to use this card for anything other than Princess Cruises purchases.
Should You Apply for the Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card?
Overall, the Princess Cruises Rewards Visa® Card is underwhelming and fails to deliver ongoing value to its cardholders. Cardholders receive no form of preferential treatment onboard or booking bonuses and below-average rewards earning rates make it difficult to earn decent amounts of points – even for those who frequently travel with this cruise line. Although there is no annual fee, it hard to justify owning this card. Instead, spring for a cash back travel card like the Uber Credit Card and put those returns towards a Princess Cruises booking.