Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on September 7th, 2021
HSBC Advance Mastercard® Credit Card
Earn Up to 3X Rewards Points
- Regular Purchase APR 14.99% to 18.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 14.99% to 18.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $0 during first year & for qualified Advance or Premier account clients; $45 for all others
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for the first 12 months from account opening
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 0% intro APR for the first 12 months
- Earn 2X points per dollar spent on dining and select entertainment purchases. Earn 1X point on all other purchases
- Redeem points for gift cards, merchandise, cash back, or even travel booking; No annual or foreign transaction fees
- Earn an introductory 3x points on dining and select entertainment purchases and 2x points on all other purchases for the first 12 months from account opening, up to the first $25,000 in purchases
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for the first 12 months from account opening
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.99% to 18.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 12 months on transfers made within the first 60 days from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.99% to 18.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 during first year & for qualified Advance or Premier account clients; $45 for all others
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
At a Glance
A capable rewards card that combines an introductory 0% APR period, points for everyday purchases, and an appealing sign-up bonus, the HSBC Advance Mastercard® credit card offers more benefits than drawbacks as part of your daily rotation.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Frequently dine out at restaurants
- Make frequent entertainment purchases in the form of music or sporting event tickets, tourist attractions, amusement parks, or movie tickets
- Are looking for a credit card you can use for foreign transactions without having to pay extra fees
- Plan to transfer a balance or make a large purchase
HSBC Advance Mastercard® Card Review
As a rewards card, the HSBC Advance Mastercard® fares comparably with the competition of no annual fee cards. HSBC Advance cardholders earn 2X Rewards Points on new, net dining and select entertainment purchases and 1X points on all other purchases made with the card.
Beyond the ability to earn rewards on everyday purchases, the Advance Card also comes with a special sign-up bonus. New accounts earn an introductory 3X points on dining and select entertainment purchases and 2X points on all other purchases in the first 12 months from account opening (up to $25,000 in spending).
HSBC Rewards offers a flexible redeeming structure for its cardholders with this card, allowing you to cash out your points for gift cards, products from hundreds of partnered retailers, or even travel booking such as flights, hotel stays, and car rentals.
If you decide to plan a trip using your accumulated rewards – or even by using your card traditionally – you can take advantage of no foreign transaction fees, so feel free to use the HSBC Advance wherever Mastercard is accepted abroad.
0% Intro APR on Purchases and Balance Transfers
Like any other card wishing to stand out, the HSBC Advance Mastercard® offers a few extra welcome incentives. If you’ve been eyeing a big-ticket purchase, you may want to consider using this card to pull the trigger, as you’ll have 12 interest-free months to pay off the balance.
The promotional offer also applies to balance transfers. In addition, you can vacation with peace of mind if the unexpected occurs while flying or driving, as the card includes insurance coverage for both rental vehicle incidentals and airline carrier accidents.
No Annual Fee for HSBC Checking Customers
All of these pluses come at the price of a $45 annual fee, which is waived the first year. However, if you’re a U.S. HSBC client with a Advance or Premier checking account, the annual fee is waived entirely.
HSBC Platinum Mastercard® with Rewards HSBC Advance Mastercard® Card?
The HSBC Advance Mastercard® more than holds its own against stiff competition in the rewards credit card space. The 2X points on dining and entertainment, plus 1X on everything else aren’t exceptional but are capable of providing value to existing HSBC Advance or Premier bank account holders. For everyone else, however, the $45 annual fee just doesn’t provide enough value for money.