HSBC Advance Mastercard® Credit Card
Intro Rewards Points Offer
- Regular Purchase APR 16.49% or 20.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 16.49% or 20.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 26.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $0 during first year & for qualified Advance or Premier account clients; $45 for all others
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for the first 12 months from account opening
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 0% intro APR for the first 12 months
- Earn 2X points per dollar spent on dining and select entertainment purchases. Earn 1X point on all other purchases
- Redeem points for gift cards, merchandise, cash back, or even travel booking; No annual or foreign transaction fees
- Earn an introductory 3x points on dining and select entertainment purchases and 2x points on all other purchases for the first 12 months from account opening, up to the first $25,000 in purchases
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for the first 12 months from account opening
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.49% or 20.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 12 months on transfers posted within the first 60 days from account opening
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.49% or 20.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 26.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 31.74% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 during first year & for qualified Advance or Premier account clients; $45 for all others
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $37
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
At a Glance
A capable rewards card that combines an introductory 0% APR period, points for everyday purchases, and an appealing sign-up bonus, the HSBC Advance Mastercard® credit card offers more benefits than drawbacks as part of your daily rotation.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Frequently dine out at restaurants
- Make frequent entertainment purchases in the form of music or sporting event tickets, tourist attractions, amusement parks, or movie tickets
- Are looking for a credit card you can use for foreign transactions without having to pay extra fees
- Plan to transfer a balance or make a large purchase
HSBC Advance Mastercard® Card Review
As a rewards card, the HSBC Advance Mastercard® fares evenly with the competition. It gives your Rewards Program balance a nice starting boost of 25,000 bonus points when you spend at least $1,500 within the first three months from opening an account, and for every dollar you spend you’ll earn 1 point. You’ll want to prioritize using this card when you dine out or catch a sports game, though, as these purchases will earn you 2 points per dollar. HSBC offers a flexible redeeming structure for its Rewards Program with this card, allowing you to cash out your points for gift cards, products from hundreds of partnered retailers, or even travel booking such as flights, hotel stays, and car rentals.
If you decide to plan a trip using your accumulated rewards – or even by using your card traditionally – you can take advantage of no foreign transaction fees, so feel free to use the HSBC Advance wherever Mastercard is accepted abroad. Like any other card wishing to stand out, the HSBC Advance Mastercard® offers a few extra welcome incentives. If you’ve been eyeing a big-ticket purchase, you may want to consider using this card to pull the trigger, as you’ll have 12 interest-free months to pay off the balance.
The promotional offer also applies to balance transfers. In addition, you can vacation with peace of mind if the unexpected occurs while flying or driving, as the card includes insurance coverage for both rental vehicle incidentals and airline carrier accidents. All of these pluses come at the price of a $45 annual fee, which is waived the first year. However, if you’re a U.S. HSBC client with a Premier or Advance checking account, the annual fee is waived entirely.
HSBC Platinum Mastercard® with Rewards HSBC Advance Mastercard® Card?
The HSBC Advance Mastercard® more than holds its own against stiff competition in the rewards credit card space. The 2X points on dining and entertainment, plus 1X on everything else aren’t exceptional but are capable of providing value to existing HSBC Advance or Premier bank account holders. For everyone else, however, the $45 annual fee just doesn’t provide enough value for money.