- Earn 1% Cash Back on all purchases with your Deserve EDU Mastercard. Once approved, you'll automatically start earning cash back on all purchases
- Receive one year of Amazon Prime Student on Deserve after spending $500 in the first three billing cycles with your EDU card (Lifetime Value of $59)
- Feel secure with cell phone protection up to $600
- No international transaction fees on purchases abroad so you can travel with confidence
- Manage and track your spending, set automatic payments and securely freeze your card all through one easy to use app
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25. First late fee waived
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $37
At a Glance
The Deserve EDU Mastercard is a no-annual-fee student credit card that’s ideal for international students (and US students, too). The card, issued through Celtic Bank, provides unlimited 1% cash back on purchases, the chance at free Amazon prime Student, and more.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are international students and don’t have a Social Security Number
- Want complimentary Amazon Prime Student on Deserve (after spending $500)
- Want cell phone protection
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Deserve EDU Mastercard Review
The Deserve EDU Mastercard is an excellent student credit card for those attending a U.S. university. The card is especially ideal for international students, as Deserve does not require a Social Security Number (SSN) to apply.
Student credit cards are generally easier to receive than regular credit cards because they are geared towards those with limited – or no credit history. Deserve EDU takes this a step further by removing the need for an SSN, opening the world of unsecured credit to a wider selection of learners.
No SSN needed makes the card perfect for international students that want to establish credit in the United States but don’t want to pay a security deposit to open a secured credit card account. All international applicants need to apply is their passport, U.S. bank account information, and U.S. student visa.
Average Cash Back Rewards
Many student credit cards offer basic perks, and the Deserve EDU Mastercard is no different. The card allows users to earn 1% cash back on all eligible purchases. Those rewards aren’t exceptional, but they are a great addition to the overall package.
Amazon Prime Student Bonus Offer
Equally enjoyable is the complimentary Amazon Prime Student membership after meeting a minimum spending goal within the first three billing cycles. Spend $500 in the first three months, and the Prime membership is yours. Prime offers free shipping, streaming videos and music, and more for members, meaning students enjoy real value with this bonus – a $59 value.
An Average APR
Student credit cards have an average APR of around 16%, according to BestCards’ latest research. The Deserve EDU features a variable APR of 18.74% – nearly two percentage points higher. While not ideal, the interest rates with the Deserve aren’t a deal-breaker. This variable APR applies only to purchases, however. Deserve does not allow balance transfers or cash advances, something to consider before applying.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
One of the great features of the Deserve EDU Mastercard is that it charges no foreign transaction fees. Many credit cards feature foreign charge fees of up to 3% of the transaction cost, making them expensive to use outside the United States. This feature makes the Deserve Card ideal for international students – or U.S. students looking to travel abroad during their studies.
Other Card Features
Other notable features of the Deserve Mastercard include:
- Mastercard features like Collision Damage Waiver, ID Theft Protection, and Zero Fraud Liability
- Cellphone protection for up to $600
- Generous credit limits
- No annual fee
- Three months of Text + Talk through Mint Mobile
Should You Apply for the Deserve EDU Mastercard?
Is the Deserve EDU Mastercard worth it? For international students, the answer is a resounding “yes.” Deserve EDU’s non-traditional approval and credit vetting process makes the approval process ideal for those new to the United States and those new to credit entirely.
The Deserve EDU Mastercard emphasizes rewarding students while they build their credit. As such, Deserve offers a whole range of perks, including cell phone protection (through Mastercard), no foreign transaction fees, and one free year of Amazon Prime Student for new cardholders.
Overall, the Deserve EDU Mastercard is a versatile student credit card that hits many of the right notes. In a marketplace full of offers, this is one card that “deserves” another look.