Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 10th, 2021
BrightStar Credit Union Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card
Earn 1.5% Cash Back From All Purchases
- Regular Purchase APR 10.99% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 10.99% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 10.99% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Fair
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee, no balance transfer fee
- Low, competitive standard APR for purchases
- 0% introductory APR for balance transfers for first 6 months after account approval
- Earn 1.5% cash back rewards on all purchases
- Regular Purchase APR: 10.99% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 6 billing cycles, on balance transfers made within 60 days of account approval
- Balance Transfer APR: 10.99% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 10.99% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: $1 at an ATM
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 1% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
At a Glance
As a cash back rewards card, the BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card is a solid option for folks who are searching for ways to save money with a low, competitive APR while earning rewards for everyday spending.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn cash back from every eligible purchase they make
- Would like a credit card that does not charge an annual fee
- Will use their new card to transfer a balance they’d like to save money on thanks to an introductory APR period
- Would like the ability to transfer a balance without paying a balance transfer fee
BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card Review
The BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card is a simple, convenient way to earn cash back rewards every time it’s swiped. Purchases large and small will earn rewards, so whether it’s used to buy a big-ticket item or to purchase a pack of gum, it puts money back into the cardholder’s wallet.
How to Earn Rewards with the BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card
The BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards card offers cardholders with 1.5% cash back for every eligible purchase they make, every day. There is no cap to the amount of rewards that can be earned with this card. Whether it’s used for an expensive item like a couch or a computer, or for a quick bite at a fast food restaurant, it’ll earn cash back rewards. This makes it perfect for someone who will use it for everyday spending.
Almost all purchases will earn cash back rewards. Transactions like balance transfers, cash advances, and returned merchandise, however, are ineligible for the 1.5% cash back rate. Cash rewards are paid in the form of a credit posted to the primary member’s savings account with the issuer, within 60 days of being earned. This means that cardholders must bank directly with BrightStar Credit Union in order to earn rewards; if you plan to apply for this credit card, you’ll need to open an account.
Avoid Fees with the BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card
The Visa Platinum Cash Rewards card from BrightStar Credit Union features a low standard APR, which is extremely competitive. One of the perks of banking with a credit union is that credit cards issued by credit unions often have low interest rates and waive fees, and this card is no exception.
There is no annual fee for cardholders who apply for this card. While many other cash back cards also forgo an annual fee it’s worth noting, simply because it means that there is not any sort of extra charge that might eat into the cash rewards earned by the cardholder.
There is also no balance transfer fee. This is particularly good news for new cardholders who hold debt from a previous credit card, and would like to pay it down with a lower interest rate. To sweeten the deal, BrightStar Credit Union also features an introductory APR period for balance transfers: 0% interest for the first six months that a card account is open, as long as the balance is transferred within 60 days. With proper planning, cardholders can drastically reduce their debt (or eliminate it entirely) without accruing any extra charges due to interest during this introductory period. Here at BestCards.com, we recommend budgeting so that you can pay down your entire balance within the six months allotted, if possible.
Credit Card Account Access
Cardholders can enroll in convenient online access for their new account by visiting the BrightStar Credit Union website. They’ll have access to their account 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with the ability to check their available credit, view the current balance for their card, and make payments online quickly and easily. Additionally, the online portal allows cardholders to view previous statements, and download transactions to their Personal Financial Management software. The portal makes it easy to manage spending.
The BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card is accompanied by several cardholder benefits and protections. In addition to convenient online access, cardmembers will also enjoy credit limits of up to $50,000, a 25-day grace period for purchases, and great Visa perks that include:
- Visa Checkout (a free, easy way to pay online, Visa Checkout saves your payment and shipping information so you won’t need to waste time entering it when making purchases online. It works on any device, making it easy make purchases online from a tablet, smart phone or computer)
- Verified by Visa (a service that protects your credit card details by assigning a personal password that ensures that you are the only person who can use your card’s number to make a purchase online)
Should You Apply for the BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card from BrightStar Credit Union?
The BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card can be a great fit for someone who is looking for a flat-rate cash-back rewards credit card that can be used for everyday spending. It features a low interest rate for purchases and balance transfers, as well as no annual fee or balance transfer fee.
However, it may not be a great fit for everyone – especially if you are not a resident of Florida. In order to apply for this card, you must have an open savings or checking account with BrightStar Credit Union. To open an account, you must visit a branch in person; If you do not live in South Florida, however, this may be difficult. BrightStar Credit Union serves most of the state of Florida, and is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale. If you are not local, a cash back card from a different credit union in your geographic area (or a national issuer like Discover) will likely be a better fit.
Perhaps the best feature of the Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card from BrightStar is its low standard interest rate. Several other credit cards have a similar 1.5% cash back rate: the Cash Magnet Card from American Express and the Chase Freedom Unlimited both offer 1.5% cash back on all purchases. However, this credit card has an interest rate that is more competitive – up to 4% lower than the other two. What lets the Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card from Brightstar down is its introductory APR period (6 months) and its lack of a signup bonus. The Freedom Unlimited boasts a lengthy intro APR of 15 months, as well as a $200 cash back bonus, by comparison.
While 1.5% cash back is certainly useful, there are other cash back credit cards on the market that offer a better cash back rate. These cards reward spending in different categories with different rates. The Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card from Chase Bank, for example, offers up to 3% cash back rewards in several spending categories while still rewarding every purchase at a rate of 1%. The Zerocard is another example of a cash back credit card that features higher rewards – up to 3% cash back – for all purchases, along with no annual fee and no balance transfer fee – or cash advance fee (which is extremely rare for a credit card).
While there are many cash back cards to choose from, if you live in South Florida and are in search of a sensible, easy-to-use credit card that will reward everyday spending, the BrightStar Visa Platinum Cash Rewards Card is certainly worth considering.