Last updated on August 16th, 2021
Concierge services are something you may think of when you imagine five-star hotels, luxury boutiques, or the rich and famous. Concierges are personal assistants that can help with a massive array of requests. What you might not know, however, is that the credit card in your wallet could be your gateway to personal assistance services of your own.
Many credit cards offer concierge services to holders – for no additional charge. These services typically come with premium credit cards that charge an annual fee or bear the name of a premium product, such as Visa Infinite or World Elite Mastercard.
What Does Credit Card Concierge Offer?
Concierges offer exceptional service and highly knowledgeable insights at a moment’s notice. These unique services assist with a vast number of tasks, including travel arrangements, dining reservations, flower purchases, and more.
Some of the more common credit card concierge requests include:
- Purchasing airline tickets
- Making hotel reservations
- Booking a cruise
- Purchasing flowers for an anniversary or birthday
- Getting tickets to a popular concert or sporting event
- Getting advice on foreign travel, including ordering foreign currencies
- Researching different prices on gift items
How Does the Service Work?
Credit card concierge is a 24-hour, 7-days a week service with premium credit cards and charge cards from several issuers. Visa and Mastercard both offer Concierge as a standard feature for specific offerings within their credit card lineup.
Does It Cost Money?
Concierge services don’t cost any money to use. Since they are part of premium credit cards’ luxury appeal, there is no direct charge for using a concierge team or customer service representative for advice, assistance, or other services.
While there is no cost for using a credit card’s concierge service, any charges – including purchases, shipping costs, fees, etc. – are the credit cardholder’s responsibility. These charges are automatically placed on the card account associated with the service.
Credit Card Concierge from Major Issuers
Visa Signature credit cards and Visa Infinite cards feature complimentary access to Visa Concierge services.
Visa Signature Concierge is a free service for anyone with a Visa Signature credit card. Signature Concierge provides 24/7 toll-free access to Visa representatives anywhere in the world. Concierge representatives can assist with various concerns, including travel advice and bookings, dining reservations and tips, entertainment tickets and tips, and more.
Visa Infinite Concierge is the premium, personalized Concierge service available to Visa Infinite cardholders. Visa Infinite is top-tier in the Visa lineup, with notable Infinite cards including the Chase Sapphire Reserve, UBS Visa Infinite, and the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve. Infinite Concierge is the pinnacle of Visa customer service. The service offers many of the same features of the Visa Signature Concierge service, but with a more personalized feel.
What Services Does Visa Concierge Offer?
As mentioned, Visa’s Concierge provides a variety of helpful services to eligible cardholders. These services include:
- Travel: Making travel arrangements is one of the best ways to use Visa Concierge. Visa’s team can assist with everything from booking plane tickets, cruises, or hotels, to arranging a taxi pickup at airports.
- Dining Reservations: The Visa service can also help book tables at popular restaurants, offer advice on the best places to eat abroad, or even get a reservation at an overbooked restaurant (in some cases).
- Sports and Concerts: Like dinner reservations, Visa concierge also offers access to sports and concert tickets – including exclusive presales.
- Shopping and Research: Visa’s Concierge staff have finely tuned skills to help a cardholder pick out gifts, help locate lost luggage, and more.
How to Access the Service
Accessing the Visa Signature or Infinite Concierge service is easy and straightforward:
- Dial the Visa Concierge toll-free number: 1-800-953-7392 (outside the U.S., dial 1- 630-350-4551).
- Visit the global website (visa.com/digitalconcierge), and log in to your account with your email and password.
Mastercard also offers a concierge service for holders of their premium credit card products. Both World Mastercard and World Elite Mastercard holders have access to Mastercard Concierge.
Mastercard’s concierge service is like Visa’s – as is the timeframe for service results. Cardholders can expect results anywhere from instantly to several weeks, depending on the type of request and the question or service’s difficulty.
What Services Does Mastercard Concierge Offer?
- Travel: Travel arrangements are one of the most popular uses for concierge services, and Mastercard Concierge is no different. The in-house service can assist with various travel arrangement options, including booking flights or hotels, arranging for a taxi pickup at the airport, or even planning a cruise. Mastercard associates also provide travel advice and tips on everything from directions to local hot spots abroad.
- Concerts and Event Tickets: Booking concert or sports tickets is another popular option for those with eligible Mastercard products. One of the best aspects of concierge services is that they can sometimes provide access to events or concert tickets when they aren’t available for sale to the general public, such as a presale.
- Restaurants: Restaurant reservations are another popular concierge service. Like ticketing, sometimes Concierge can help land a table at an overbooked restaurant, though this isn’t always the case.
- Purchase Research: An underutilized concierge service is research, but it’s something Mastercard Concierge can offer. Since concierge staff spend their working time helping book tickets, find reservations, and offer advice, they have finely-tuned skills that can help a cardholder pick out gifts, help locate lost luggage, or even find the best restaurants in a foreign city.
How to Access the Service
Accessing the Mastercard Concierge service can be done through the following:
American Express Concierge
American Express is another issuer that offers a concierge service. Unlike Mastercard and Visa, however, Amex does not provide concierge services for the majority of credit cardholders. Instead, the Amex Concierge service is only available to Platinum Cardholders or Amex Centurion Cardholders (also known as the vaunted Black Card). These cards are charge cards – and not credit cards.
The American Express Concierge service provides 24/7 access to cardholders anywhere globally, though Centurion cardholders can anticipate an unrivaled level of service. This enhanced service for Centurion cardholders includes a personal concierge assistant assigned to each account.
Current Amex cards that offer concierge service:
What Services Does Amex Concierge Offer?
- Travel: Like both Visa and Mastercard, American Express Concierge staff can assist with travel plans, including (but not limited to) booking flight tickets or hotels, planning cruises, helping with taxi or airport pickup services, and more.
- Concerts and Event Tickets: Helping Amex cardholders score tickets to hard-to-access events or concerts.
- Restaurants: Booking tables at exclusive restaurants – including getting seats where others struggle. According to many reports, some dedicated American Express concierges are on a first-name basis with many hosts at some of the world’s finest restaurants.
- Other: Amex staff can also assist with various other requests and services, such as researching gifts or purchases, offering tips and advice, and more.
Amex Centurion Concierge is renowned for its impressive service levels and the ability to furnish even the most unusual of requests. Some notable examples include a businessman arranging for afterschool pickup for his children, a cardholder wanting to know if the price of a luxury watch on his cruise was fair, and a woman seeking help in purchasing a pair of earrings she saw in a film.
How to Access the Service
Access to American Express’ Concierge is available via the following methods:
- Dial the Amex Concierge toll-free number: 1-800-525-3355 (outside the U.S., dial 1-617-622-6756).
- Email American Express at [email protected]
Citi Concierge is a unique service provided to Citi Prestige cardholders. Citi Concierge offers the following benefits to users:
- Travel bookings, arrangements, and information services
- Entertainment advice, ticket bookings, and more
- Shopping advice, purchasing assistance, and price comparison
- Gift ideas
- Account help
- …and more
Current Citi cards that offer concierge service:
How to Access the Service
Access to Citi Concierge is available via the following methods:
- Dial the Citi Concierge toll-free number: 1-800-508-8930
- Email [email protected] with your account info and request
What Are the Best Credit Cards for Concierge Service?
The Platinum Card from American Express is the name when it comes to premium credit cards. The Platinum Card practically invented the idea of a luxury credit card and still holds its own in that marketplace.
The card is the pinnacle of the Amex range of charge cards and offers a vast assortment of benefits for travelers who do not mind paying the $550 annual fee. Cardholders also benefit from statement credits for TSA Precheck or Global Entry, a $200 credit for additional airline fees each year, and access to over 1,200 airport lounges in the U.S. and abroad, as well as to the American Express Lounge Collection, which includes the Centurion Lounge.
Best for Luxury Concierge Access:
The Mastercard® Titanium Card™ from Luxury Card is an excellent option for those who want ultra-premium concierge service without the hefty annual fee. Luxury Card is known for its exceptional Luxury Concierge service – and the Titanium Card offers access to this impressive service for a very re4asonable $195 annual fee.
Best Concierge Experience for No Annual Fee:
The U.S. Bank Altitude® Go Visa Signature made waves when it was released, and it’s easy to see why. The card, a no-annual-fee travel rewards card, provides impressive points earning, a solid introductory bonus points and 0% APR offer, and much more.
The ability to access the Visa Signature Concierge service without an annual fee isn’t the major selling point of the Go Card. Still, it’s a lovely ribbon on an otherwise excellent credit card package.
Best Overall Concierge Credit Card:
The Sapphire Reserve® offers a lot of value for a high $550 annual fee. Cardholders receive TSA Pre-Check/Global Entry credits every four years, unlimited lounge access through Priority Pass, and Visa® Infinite’s Luxury Hotel Collection. There’s also the excellent Visa Infinite Concierge.
The real benefit of the Sapphire Reserve®, however, is in the value of its points. Beyond juicy signup bonuses, the card earns serious travel and dining points, with Reserve cardholders receiving an additional 50% redemption value through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program. That program, considered one of the best in the rewards game, offers cardholders access to one-to-one point-to-airline mile transfers, unique experiences, and more.
Related Article: Best Dining Credit Cards of 2020
Featured photo by Lppicture/ Pixabay