| Last updated on October 24th, 2023
Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express® Card
Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express® Card
- 14.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 14.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 4X points per $1 spent on eligible net restaurant purchases
- 3X points per $1 spent on eligible airline purchases
- 2X points per $1 spent on eligible net gas station purchases
- 1X points per $1 spent on all other eligible net purchases
- Spend $1,000 in the first 3 months and earn 10,000 bonus rewards points (worth $100 Cash Back)
- Earn unlimited points
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: None the first year. After that, $99
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express® Card Review
Anyone in the market for a credit card that imparts great value for making everyday purchases should consider the Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express® Card. Earn up to 4X points for every dollar spent, with a rewards program geared towards folks who take pleasure from simple things like dining out and travel (and using a credit card to pay for it).
Rich Rewards, for Moderate Fees
The Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express® Card features a lucrative rewards program alongside perks that include an introductory bonus, competitive interest rates, and chip-enhanced security in addition to American Express (Amex) consumer protections.
As an incentive to apply for this card, cardholders who spend $1,000 in the first three months of opening their account will receive 10,000 bonus points. Each point is worth 1 cent – 10,000 points would equal $100 in rewards when redeemed.
There is an annual fee of $99 to use this card, which Park National Bank waives for the first year as an incentive to sign up. While $99 may seem high, when weighed against the rewards program and its perks it is offset when the cardholder uses their card frequently. Some cards, like the United Club Infinite Card, can have an annual fee as high as $450.
In addition to waiving the annual fee for the first year, Park National Bank sweetens the deal by eliminating foreign transaction fees altogether. For the world traveler, this will be particularly enticing since it means that cardholders can avoid extra charges associated with purchases made abroad. Cardholders who spend abroad will still earn points in their respective spending categories, too – so this perk is a gift that keeps on giving.
Bear in mind that there are other fees associated with using this card, however. Expect to pay a fee for balance transfers, for example.
How to Earn Rewards with the Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express® Card
There is no cap or limit to the number of points that can be earned with the Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express Card. After all, this is a credit card that’s designed for folks who want to accumulate points from doing the things they love most. Points can be earned from everyday purchases and are earned at different rates based on spending category, broken down here:
- 4X Points on Dining: Cardholders who enjoy fine dining, or who do not always have time to cook meals at home, will particularly enjoy the rewards program associated with this card, which spotlights the dining spending category. Each $1 spent on eligible net restaurant purchases will earn 4X points, whether you’re grabbing a quick meal at a fast food joint or sitting down to a romantic Michelin-star-worthy dinner.
- 3X Points on Flying: Frequent fliers will also rejoice when they use their Premier Rewards Amex from Park National Bank to purchase airline travel. They will earn 3 points for each $1 spent on net airline purchases. Seeing the world is a rewarding experience in and of itself, and this card proffers a chance to earn points while doing so. The more you fly, the more rewards you’ll earn.
- 2X Points on Gas: Many people use their cars every day, whether it’s to commute to work, take the kids to soccer practice, or simply to meet friends and family. Cardholders who pay at the pump using their Premier Rewards Amex Card will earn 2 points for each dollar they spend on eligible purchases in the gas category. This can include buying snacks and drinks inside the gas station in addition to paying for gasoline.
- 1X Points on All Other Eligible Purchases: Cardholders will earn 1 point for every dollar spent on virtually all other purchases. Whether you use your credit card to buy movie tickets, pay for Uber or a taxi, or buy a gift for someone’s birthday at a department store, you’ll earn points that can add up to great rewards. Points can only be earned from eligible purchases. Transactions like convenience checks, betting transactions and lottery tickets, balance transfers, cash advances, and credit insurance charges do not qualify as purchases that can earn rewards.
It pays to read the fine print: While Park National Bank’s Premier Rewards Amex card makes earning points easy, there are several caveats hidden within the Terms and Conditions that cardholders should be aware of. Bonus points earned in the spending categories described above may not be assessed a) if they are made through a third-party payment account or an online marketplace, b) if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader, or c) if the cardholder uses a digital or mobile wallet to make the purchase. These exceptions are particularly important to pay attention to, especially for folks who enjoy the convenience of online shopping or using a digital wallet to make purchases. Limiting how this card can be used to earn rewards is somewhat restrictive compared to other card reward programs, so bear this in mind when choosing a new credit card to apply for.
How to Redeem Points
To redeem points earned with the Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express® Card, simply log into your cardholder account at or call the Rewards Center at 1-888-229-8864. The online portal highlights some of the best rewards available for your hard-earned points, including:
- Merchandise from hundreds of retailers
- Charitable donations
- Magazine subscriptions
- Travel (Hotel, Airfare, Cruises, Car Rentals)
- Gift cards
A full list is available when you log into your account online. Also, cardholders must redeem their points within five years of the end of the quarter in which they are accrued or they will expire, so plan accordingly – especially if you have your heart set on a travel reward. These typically require a lot of points, so don’t lose your points by holding onto them for too long!
Cardholder Benefits and Perks
In addition to chip-enhanced security, the Park National Bank Premier Rewards Amex Card is accompanied by premium perks from American Express®, which include:
- Worldwide Travel Inconvenience Insurance
- Luxury Hotel Program
- Premium Concierge Services
- Rental Car Insurance
- Return Protection
- Extended Warranty
- Zero Fraud Liability
- Free Extra Card (for Authorized Users)
- Entertainment Access
Cardholders will even receive reimbursement for either Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® when they use their card to purchase either service.
Should You Apply for the Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express® Card from Park National Bank?
When considering a rewards card like the Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express® Card that awards points for almost every purchase, there are several factors that may make, or break, your decision:
If there is an annual fee, is it offset by rewards? How high of an annual fee are you willing to pay? Will you use your credit card enough to really take advantage of the rewards program? Is there a similar offer with lower interest rates? Do you plan to carry a balance from month to month? How you answer these questions will determine whether a credit card is the right fit for your budget, and for your financial goals.
When it comes to rewards cards, another factor to consider is flexibility – both in how rewards are earned and how points can be redeemed. Some credit cards, like the Synovus Rewards Visa® Credit Card and the U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card allow you to choose the spending categories in which you earn the most rewards, while other cards like the Shop Your Way Mastercard (and the Premier Rewards Amex from Park National Bank) give you multiple categories in which you can earn tiered points or cash back. Ultimately, your decision will boil down to whether you’d like the flexibility to choose which spending category you can maximize your rewards in.
The same goes for redeeming your points. Some credit cards limit you to airline miles or hotel stays. Other cards only offer merchandise and gift cards in exchange for the rewards you’ve accrued. Luckily, the Park National Bank Premier Rewards American Express Card allows cardholders to choose between a multitude of rewards when redeeming their points.
All in all, the Premier Rewards American Express Card from Park National Bank is a solid option for individuals who wish to treat themselves to a credit card that can earn unlimited points from purchases – without a hefty annual fee. Cardholders who spend the most money in the dining, air travel, and gas categories will watch their points add up to some great rewards.
Browse Other Park National Bank Credit Cards:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.