California Bank & Trust AmaZing Cash Visa® Card
Earn Unlimited 1% Cash Back
- Regular Purchase APR 11.24% to 18.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 11.24% to 18.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 19.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for the first 6 months
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases
- Access to further rewards through AmaZing Deals
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for the first 6 months
- Regular Purchase APR: 11.24% to 18.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 6 months
- Balance Transfer APR: 11.24% to 18.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 19.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the U.S dollar amount of each transaction
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $10
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
- 20% off + Free Shipping on Fanatics.com orders of $49+ - Offer Expires on April 15, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on December 22, 2021 - See Details
- Save 10% on Select Regularly Priced Jewelry - Offer Expires on February 03, 2022 - See Details
- Save 10% and complimentary daily breakfast for two with Preferred Hotels - Offer Expires on March 31, 2022 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in Brooklyn - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in New York - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in West Hollywood - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Save $25 in the US with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase with promotion code VISA38 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The California Bank & Trust AmaZing Cash Visa® Card is a cash back credit card that features 0% introductory APR on both purchases and balance transfers for the first six months, plus a competitive regular interest rate after that but suffers because of its low cash back rewards.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are a California resident
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
- Want an everyday card that enjoys a low rate but still earns rewards
California Bank & Trust AmaZing Cash Visa® Review
California Bank & Trust is a leading California bank, with over 100 branches dotting the Golden State. California Bank & Trust (CB&T) offers numerous personal credit cards designed for every lifestyle, including the AmaZing Cash Visa Card.
2% Cash Back for the First 90 Days
The CB&T AmaZing Cash Visa® Card earns 2% back on all purchases, which generally would make the card a decent option to consider. The 2% back rate, however, is only for a limited time – 90 days to be exact. Once this initial period ends, the card earns an unlimited 1% back on every dollar spent on purchases
The CB&T AmaZing Cash Visa earns less than both the Chase Freedom Unlimited or the Citi Double Cash Card, which earn 1.5% and 2% back, respectively. These cards also charge no annual fee. These, of course, are just two basic examples of cash back cards that offer better rewards than the CB&T Card, without even getting into cards like the Chase Freedom, Discover It Cash Back, Discover It Chrome, ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard, or dozens of others that earn accelerated cash back in select categories and a flat-rate 1% back on everything else.
Annual Cash Back Bonus
Since the cash back potential of the card isn’t as amazing as the name, CB&T mitigates this shortcoming by offering up to 25% more cash back through their annual cash back bonus program.
This annual bonus is directly dependent upon the total amount of cash back a cardholder earns during the previous calendar year, and not their total spend on purchases. This reward is broken into tiers.
The highest-tier benefit, 25% back, is probably out of the reach of most people, given the high spending required. While spending $40,000 is more than most will spend each year on their credit card, two – $7,500 in spending – is much more attainable and the 5% bonus nothing to complain about. This bonus also somewhat enhances the cash back potential of the card (for a select few).
AmaZing Deals Access
Like other California Bank & Trust credit cards, AmaZing Cash Cardholders can further boost the cash back they earn through the AmaZing Deals app. The app allows CB&T cardholders to show their phone at over 1,500 participating retailers to receive some money back when shopping.
0% Intro APR
The AmaZing Cash Visa® Card from CB&T also enjoys a competitive APR on purchases and balance transfers when compared to other similar cards from Citi, Discover, or Chase. For those with an excellent credit score, the APR is almost 5% lower than the national average, at around 13%. New CB&T Cardholders also benefit from 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first six months.
Should You Apply for the CB&T AmaZing Cash Visa® Card?
In the crowded cash back marketplace, the CB&T AmaZing Cash Visa® Card is fighting an uphill battle. Excellent cash back cards are seemingly everywhere, with the apparent heavy-hitters being the AMEX Cash Magnet, Citi Double Cash, Chase Freedom, and Freedom Unlimited.
The intro 2% cash back period of the card is a measly 90 days – after which the card earns only 1% back on every purchase. All of the cards just mentioned earn rewards at a better rate than the CB&T Card while also charging no annual fee.
CB&T tries to compensate for this shortcoming through its AmaZing Deals app, which offers additional rewards with participating retailers and the annual cash back bonus. However, both bonuses bring their own frustrations.
AmaZing Deals only works with select California retailers and restaurants, which is fine most of the time, but using the card outside of the state offers limited additional rewards potential – far lower than what’s available with other comparable cards. The annual bonus also suffers from a high spend requirement for the very top-end bonuses, making them inaccessible for nearly every cardholder, bar the upper echelon, who would probably choose the CB&T Elite Card instead.