| Last updated on December 15th, 2023
Y-12 Visa Signature Credit Card
Y-12 Visa Signature Credit Card
- 16.49% to 18.00% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 16.49% to 18.00% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 16.49% to 18.00% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 12 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The Y-12 Visa Signature Credit Card is a solid rewards credit card from Y-12 Federal Credit Union in Tennessee. While the card earns reward points towards the CU Rewards program, it also functions as a capable balance transfer card, thanks to its typical low APR. The card has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, and no fees for balance transfers or cash advances.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn up to 3% unlimited cash back
- 0% intro APR for 12 months
- $200 cash bonus after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days
- No annual fee
- No balance transfer fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.49% to 18.00% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.49% to 18.00% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 16.49% to 18.00% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $25
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $29
- You want to earn decent rewards for your every purchase
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee
- You're a member of the Y-12 FCU or live in Eastern Tennessee
- You plan on carrying a balance or want to pay down an existing credit card debt
Y-12 Visa Signature Credit Card Review
The Y-12 Visa Signature is the top-tier credit card from Y-12 Federal Credit Union and is one of two rewards cards available to consumers. This card has the highest APR range of all Y-12 FCU offerings but is still well-below the national average. Cardholders will get to enjoy a low APR for purchases, balance transfers, and even cash advances along with minimal card fees.
The most noteworthy feature of this card is that it is has the largest starting credit limit of all the cards – $5,000, healthy line of credit that is sure to positively impact ones credit score – but also has no annual fee.
Signup Bonus and Introductory Offers
Unfortunately, the Y-12 Visa Signature Rewards offers neither a welcome bonus nor introductory offer for new cardholders. Those who were hoping that their new credit card would help with a particularly large purchase will not find any limited time offers here.
Earning and Redeeming Rewards
The card earns 1 point per dollar spent, which be redeemed for gift cards, merchandise, or cash through the CU Rewards program. Despite the sub-par earning rates, Y-12 credit card points have the standard industry value of 1¢ each when redeemed for cash (otherwise the redemption amount can vary depending on the product).
It would require 2,500 points to earn a $25 statement credit – however, because of the lack of bonus categories, would require spending a hefty $2,500 for this relatively small reward. To make matters even more challenging, points expire after 3 years from the month that they were earned which could make it even more difficult for a low spending to accumulate enough points to redeem for anything.
Other Card Perks
While the Y-12 Visa Signature Credit Card may have the highest interest rates of Y-12’s credit card offerings, it also offers the most benefits and protections. The card is Visa Signature card entitles cardholders to a very impressive $1,000,000 in travel accident insurance coverage, as well as comprehensive auto rental collision damage protection and roadside assistance. Cardholders also have access to Visa Signature’s 24/7 global concierge service, and access to Visa’s Luxury Hotel Collection.
Should You Apply for the Y-12 Visa Signature Credit Card?
Overall, the Y-12 Visa Signature Credit Card mediocre as a rewards credit card and far more useful as a balance transfer card (should you already possess other existing cards and want to consolidate the balance). If you are looking for a rewards credit card that offers more than 1-point returns (not hard to find) there is no shortage available to those with the Excellent credit needed to qualify for Y-12 Visa Signature. However, if you are determined to own a credit card from the Y-12 Federal Credit Union, this is your best option.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.