Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card
Earn 5,000 Points After First Purchase
- Regular Purchase APR 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- 2X points on Holland America purchases
- 1X points on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- No annual fee
- Redeem for onboard amenities or statement credit
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months on transfers made within 45 days from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99%, 18.99% or 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
At a Glance
The Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card offers card members double points when making bookings through Holland America and single points for every other dollar spent with the card. New cardholders also receive 5,000 bonus points when they make the first purchase with the card, worth $50 of onboard spending. The card has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, and also boasts an introductory 0% APR on balance transfers for 15 months, provided the transfers are made with the first 45 days of account opening.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want a travel rewards card with no annual fee
- Want a card with 0% introductory APR on balance transfers
- Frequently book cruises with Holland America and want to earn rewards
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card Review
The Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card is a co-branded travel rewards card from Barclays and Holland America, one of the world’s leading cruise lines. Cardholders earn 2 points for every dollar they spend with Holland America and 1 point for every dollar they spend with all other purchases. Points are redeemable towards discounts on bookings with Holland America, onboard amenities, merchandise, or gift cards, or as statement credits that can be applied towards the cost of air travel.
New account holders will also benefit from 5,000 bonus points after their first purchase with their Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card and 0% introductory APR on balance transfers for 15 months when they post the transfers within the first 45 days of opening an account.
The initial bonus offer of 5,000 points after first card use equates to $50 in value, which, while nice as an onboard bonus, doesn’t pack much of a punch unless you plan to apply for the card and immediately book a cruise upon receiving it. After all, unless you plan to spend a serious amount of money on Holland America cruises, you’ll only be earning 1 point per dollar spent or a value of $.01 per $1.
For the frequent cruiser, however, the card makes good sense – cruises are costly, and if you plan on booking one, shouldn’t you want to get something back in return (besides the sun and sea, of course)? With a cruise booking, you can expect to earn quite a few points, which, when added to the initial bonus, would save you quite a bit of money on board – a nice perk.
Beyond the value of the points on offer with the Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card, cardholders can expect no annual fees or foreign transaction fees, access to Visa’s dedicated 24-hour concierge service, and complete protection from liability in the event of any unauthorized or fraudulent purchases.
Should You Apply for the Holland America Line Rewards Visa®?
Overall, the Holland America Line Rewards Visa® Card fits a particular niche in the travel rewards credit card sphere, and if you are looking for a card within that niche, this is a reliable option. For everyone else, however, there are better rewards cards available elsewhere.