Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 11th, 2021
Best Friends® Credit Card
Best Friends® Credit Card
Earn 5% Cash Back Rewards
- Regular Purchase APR 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee Up to $39
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good , Fair
- Processing Network Visa
- Best Friends receives a donation in an amount equal to 1% of eligible purchases
- Earn 5% cash back rewards on eligible pet shops, pet foods, and supplies stores purchases for the first $5,000 per calendar year
- Get up to 10% More Cash Back Rewards from participating merchants
- $0 annual fee for excellent credit
- Regular Purchase APR: 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 8% of the amount of each Cash Advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: Up to $39
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Either $1 or 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Best Friends® Credit Card is a cash back credit card from Credit One Bank. The card, in partnership with Best Friends Animal Society, earns up to 5% back on pet-related purchases and donates 1% towards the goal to end the killing of dogs and cats in America’s shelters.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Have a pet or feel passionately about protecting vulnerable animals
- Spend heavily on animal-related purchases each month
- Have average or faire credit and want a credit card that can earn rewards
Best Friends® Credit Card Review
The Best Friends® Credit Card is a credit card that helps put an end to kill shelters in the United States. The card is issued through Credit One Bank, in partnership with Best Friends Animal Society, the leading nonprofit working to end the killing of dogs and cats in America’s shelters by 2025.
Save Your Furry Friends with Every Purchase
Credit One cards are excellent for those looking to boost their credit score or earn cash back rewards with every purchase. The Best Friends® Credit Card takes this a step further by offering a portion of every purchase to help the Best Friends Animal Society Save Them All®.
Best Friends receives a donation in an amount equal to 1% of eligible purchases made with the card, which ensures you’ll be playing your part to help the organization in its mission to eliminate kill shelters in the United States. However, keep in mind that donations are only made if the card account is in good standing, so if there was ever a card that made paying your card statement on time as crucial as possible, the Credit One Best Friends Card is it.
Earn Up to 5% Cash Back
Beyond a 1% donation, the Best Friends® Credit Card also earns 5% cash back up to $5,000 per calendar year in select pet-centric categories. Cardholders earn 5% back on the first $5,000 in annual spending on eligible pet shops and pet food and supply store purchases. All other purchases with the card earn an unlimited 1% cash back.
A credit card that earns cash back on everyday pet purchases is a great perk of the Best friends Card and can save cardholders a significant sum of money over a calendar year. Spending the full $5,000 each year will offer a $250 cash back bonus – money that can help pay down the statement balance with the card.
How to Redeem Cash Back Rewards
Keep in mind that Credit One automatically deposits cash back as statement balances for all their credit card products. However, there are no other options available. There are no travel redemptions or merchandise options to choose from, which can be something of a letdown.
While statement credits can be useful, especially for people who prefer their statement balance to be as low as possible, if you are willing to spend over $5,000 every year on your credit card, you will likely be more enticed by a card that grants you several options for redemption just in case you change your mind.
Other Pet Perks
Credit One sweetens the pot for potential applicants by providing several other pet-approved perks, including:
- Discount code for up to 10% off Best Friends-branded merchandise at Best Friends Lifesaving Centers, the Best Friends Mercantile, and online at the Best Friends Store
- Special offers from merchant partners specifically tailored for pet lovers
- Discount code for up to 5% off lodging offered by Best Friends Animal Society, including the Best Friends Roadhouse and Mercantile, Cottages, Cabins, and RV Sites
Variable Annual Fees
Because Credit One offers credit cards to a wide range of credit scores, different applicants will receive a different annual fee. The annual fee with the Best Friends® Credit Card ranges from $0 (no annual fee) for those applicants with an excellent credit score to $39 for applicants with average credit.
Regardless of your credit score, the yearly charge for the Best Friends® Card is reasonable. Other offerings from Credit One come with an annual fee as high as $95, so $39 for a card that offers up to 5% back on pet supplies is a very fair trade off.
Credit One’s purchase and cash advance APRs are typically at the higher end of the spectrum. Such is the case with the Best Friends® Card. Its rates reach past 20% for both purchases and cash advances.
Other Card Features
- Visa Zero Fraud Liability
- Contactless tap-to-pay compatibility and EMV chip card
- Free online access to your Experian credit score each month
- Up to 10% cash back with select merchants
- A foreign transaction fee of either $1 or 3% of the transaction cost in US dollars (whichever is greater)
- Easy-to-use mobile app
Should You Apply for the Credit One Best Friends® Credit Card?
The Best Friends® Credit Card is an enticing cash back offering – especially for those who love animals. The ability to earn up to 5% cash back is always welcome – especially when you have pets at home and can really apply those savings. The fact that the card donates 1% of each purchase to Best Friends is even more rewarding, however, and can help you get out and use your card.
Overall, the Best Friends® Visa from Credit One is not a game-changer. That said, it provides an excellent opportunity for people with average or good credit scores to earn impressive cash back while helping out their four-legged friends at the same time.