BankUnited Cash Rewards American Express® Card
Earn up to 3% cash back
- Regular Purchase APR 13.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 13.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for the first 6 months
- Processing Network American Express
- 3% cash back on the first $6,000 in eligible net purchases made each year at gas stations.
- 2% cash back on supermarket net purchases.
- 1% cash back on other everyday net purchases
- $25 cash back reward bonus after first purchase
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for the first 6 months
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 6 months
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either 3% of the amount of each transfer or $5 minimum, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either 4% of the amount of each advance or $10 minimum, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2% of each foreign purchase transaction or foreign ATM advance transaction in U.S. Dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
At a Glance
The BankUnited Cash Rewards American Express® Card offers great cashback rewards for everyday purchases. The card earns 3% cashback on the first $6,000 spent on gas station purchases, as well as 2% back at grocery stores, and 1% back on everything else. New cardholders also receive $25 cashback instantly after first using their card. While the card’s typical APR isn’t exciting, the card does benefit from 0% intro APR for the first 6 months on purchases and balance transfers, as well as no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn cashback for gas and grocery purchases
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
- Like the idea of earning $25 cashback just for making the first purchase on the card
- Want 5 years to redeem your rewards
BankUnited Cash Rewards American Express® Card Review
The BankUnited Cash Rewards American Express® Card is a simple and straightforward cashback rewards card from BankUnited and American Express. The card is excellent for getting rewards for everyday purchases, with a very impressive 3% cashback on purchases at gas stations (for the first $6,000 each year), and an equally admirable 2% cashback on purchases made at supermarkets. All other eligible purchases made with the card earn a flat rate 1% cashback.
With the BankUnited Cash Rewards American Express® Card, there is no limit on the total amount of cash that can be earned with purchases, and even better, there is a five-year window in which cardmembers can reclaim their cashback rewards. This large window means that you never have to worry about when to claim your rewards – you can get them when you want.
Another nice feature of the card is the introductory bonus on offer (or should we say bonuses). New cardmembers receive $24 bonus cash back after their first purchase, not a bad gift. New account holders also receive 0% intro APR on purchases and balances transfers for the first 6 months after opening the account, meaning-making big purchases earns you great cashback – and not big interest payments.
Beyond the cashback power of the BankUnited Cash Rewards American Express® Card, the rest is fairly standard. The card has a typical APR for purchases and balance transfers starting at around 16%, which is in line with other similar cards. Additionally, the card charges fees for balance transfers, cash advances, and foreign transactions, which isn’t ideal – but not a deal-breaker. Fortunately, the card doesn’t feature an annual fee, which goes quite a way in making up for these shortcomings.
Should You Apply for the BankUnited Cash Rewards American Express® Card?
Overall, the BankUnited Cash Rewards American Express® Card is an excellent cash back credit card – especially for those who want to get the most out of the gas and grocery purchases. If this sounds like you, then BankUnited may have the perfect card for your daily needs.