| Last updated on November 17th, 2023
Union Bank Travel Rewards Visa® Credit Card
Union Bank Travel Rewards Visa® Credit Card
- 17.74% to 27.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 17.74% to 27.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.00% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent, up to $6,000 annually, on travel net purchases
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent, up to $6,000 annually, on restaurant net purchases
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get a 50% reward bonus when you redeem points as a principal reduction payment to a Union Bank mortgage
- Get a 25% reward bonus when you redeem points as a deposit to a Union Bank checking, savings, or money market account
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 17.74% to 27.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 17.74% to 27.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.00% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $15 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first year. After that, $49
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $37
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
At a Glance
The Union Bank Travel Rewards Rewards Visa® Credit Card facilitates the pursuit of travel rewards and offers an appealing interest-free period on balance transfers.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel frequently
- Often dine out at restaurants
- Have enough immediate purchases planned to meet a $1,500 spending requirement for a bonus points award
- Have an existing Union Bank account or mortgage
- Are looking to transfer existing balances from other accounts to a card with a lower APR in order to save money on interest charges
Union Bank Travel Rewards Rewards Visa® Credit Card Review
With up to three rewards points earned per dollar spent, the Union Bank Travel Rewards Visa® Credit Card can net you points in a hurry so you can get there and satisfy your wanderlust. However, there are specific categories where you’ll earn more than the baseline, and within those categories there are caps. The breakdown is as follows: The first $6,000 spent annually on travel purchases earn three points per $1, then the rate decreases to one point per $1. Purchases made at restaurants earn two points per $1, also with a limit of $6,000 per year. All other purchases, in every category, earn one point per $1. So while you can triple your haul if you frequently book travel – or double it if you eat out often – that rate will go down unless you can keep your annual spending below $6,000. Fortunately, the counters reset at the turn of the year, so you have another $6,000 allotment in each category to use up.
Everyday shopping isn’t the only way of accumulating additional points with this card, though. Union Bank offers a signup bonus with the Travel Rewards Visa®, which pays out 20,000 extra points if you can spend $1,500 within the first 90 days of opening an account. While it’s not as substantial a welcome offer as that of other travel cards, it also requires less spending. In addition, you can earn more points depending on how you redeem them. If you cash out with a deposit to a Union Bank checking or savings account, you’ll get a 25% bonus, while redeeming as a payment to reduce your principal in a Union Bank mortgage account receives 50% more points. Of course, you can also always redeem your points for travel booking, which includes flights, hotel stays, and car rentals.
While the travel rewards are the main appeal of this card, there are other incentives that can make it worth considering. For those who are paying off balances on other accounts at higher interest rates, the Union Bank Travel Rewards Visa® Credit Card offers 12 months at an introductory APR of 0% on balance transfers. Customers interested in checking their FICO® score regularly can do so at no charge by being a card member, and they can also take advantage of additional cell phone insurance protection.
Should You Apply for the Union Bank Travel Rewards Rewards Visa® Credit Card?
As with many travel cards, there are no foreign transaction fees charged on the Union Bank Travel Rewards Visa® Credit Card when used abroad, and while it does have a modest annual fee of $49, it is waived the first year you’re a cardmember.
Browse Other Card Offers:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.