Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 9th, 2021
Union Bank Secured Visa® Credit Card
- Regular Purchase APR 19.74% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 19.74% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 26% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $25
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Poor , No Credit Required
- Processing Network Visa
- Get started on setting up or repairing your credit history with this card
- Free access to your FICO® Score
- Chip security included
- Receive supplemental coverage for damage and theft for your phone when you pay your mobile bill with the Union Bank Secured Visa® Credit Card
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.74% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.74% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 26% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $15 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $25
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $37
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Minimum Deposit Required: Disclosed after account opening
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
Ideal for Those Who:
- Have little or no credit
- Are rebuilding your credit score
- Have not had a credit card before
- Want to have constant access to your FICO® Score
- Want to eventually graduate to an unsecured credit card
Union Bank Secured Visa® Credit Card Review
The Union Bank Secured Visa® Credit Card is designed for customers who are in the early or rebuilding stages of their credit profile. Though it includes no rewards program or signup bonuses, it does provide a pathway to building a robust credit history (as long as you use it responsibly and pay all your balances off on time). In fact, Union Bank gives you access to check your FICO® Score for free, so you can monitor how it changes over time as you use the card.
The card’s APR for purchases and balance transfers is on the loftier end of the spectrum, though it doesn’t climb as high as rates for store cards and other secured cards do. In addition, you’re responsible for a $25 annual fee, which is common in secured cards. You’re also subject to foreign transaction, late and returned payment fees, so exercise caution with your spending and repayment. And of course, the card requires a deposit when you open an account to serve as collateral and as your spending limit.
There are a handful of other convenient features included with the Union Bank Secured Visa® Credit Card. To ensure that you’re protected and receive full transparency, the card comes with chip technology and 24/7 online account access. If you’re a fan of using a mobile wallet, you can add the card to your Apple Pay®, Google Pay™, and Samsung Pay® digital keychains for expedited payment. And you can also benefit from paying for your monthly wireless bill with this card, as it grants you supplemental cell phone coverage against damage and theft.
For more information on secured credit cards, visit our Comprehensive Secured Card Reference Page, featuring the best-secured card offers, detailed advice, and tips to help you build your credit history.