Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 26th, 2021
SunTrust Cash Rewards Credit Card
Up to 5% Cash Back
- Regular Purchase APR 11.24% to 21.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 11.24% to 21.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 5% cash back on up to $6,000 spent on gas and grocery purchases in the first twelve months of account opening
- Unlimited 2% cash back on gas and grocery purchases after introductory bonus cash back period ends
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other qualifying purchases, no annual fee
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 11.24% to 21.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 11.24% to 21.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
At a Glance
For those in the market for a straightforward cash back rewards card, the SunTrust Cash Rewards Credit Card may be a good fit since you can earn up to 5% cash back on gas and grocery qualifying purchases made in the first 12 months. A generous introductory APR offer of 0% for fifteen months after account opening, and no annual fees, will sweeten the deal.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn up to 5% cash back rewards from gas and grocery purchases
- Would like the benefits of being a Mastercard cardholder
- Will take advantage of a lengthy introductory APR period of 0% for 15 months
- Want a card with no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee
SunTrust Cash Rewards Credit Card Review
The SunTrust Cash Rewards Credit Card comes with a generous introductory APR; enjoy 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first fifteen months your account is open with SunTrust, as well as the opportunity to earn 5% cash back on purchases made on gas and groceries for up to $6,000 spent within the first twelve months.
Once the introductory period has finished, your regular earning rate will be an unlimited 2% back on all qualifying gas and grocery purchases and 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases. Additionally, there is no annual fee for the SunTrust Cash Rewards Credit Card and there are no foreign transaction fees, so you can maximize your savings even as you earn cash back rewards.
Enjoy Extra Savings with a Linked SunTrust Bank Account
Best of all, you’ll have the flexibility to redeem your cash back rewards in multiple ways – pick from e-gift cards, travel rewards, or cash back as a statement credit. It’s worth noting that when you use your SunTrust Cash Rewards Credit Card in conjunction with a SunTrust Checking, Savings or Money Market account, you’ll be able to earn some great bonuses that are not available to cardholders who don’t do additional banking with SunTrust.
How to Redeem Cash Back
When you redeem your cash back directly into a SunTrust account, you can cash in on a Loyalty Cash Bonus of either 10%, 25% or 50% based on your deposit relationship with SunTrust. It, therefore, pays to couple your Cash Rewards Credit Card with a SunTrust banking account.
Other perks from SunTrust include free access to your FICO® score – available through SunTrust’s online banking – as well as the benefits that come from being a World Mastercard® cardholder. This includes the MasterRental rental car program, Purchase Assurance, Mastercard ID Theft Protection™ and other assurances against fraud like Zero Liability and even insurance against baggage delays, travel accidents, and trip cancellations.
Should You Apply for the SunTrust Cash Rewards Credit Card?
For those seeking a versatile cash back card without an annual fee, the SunTrust Cash Rewards Card is a good choice. The card earns up to 5% cash back on gas and grocery purchases – though only for the for the first $6,000 in the first year.
This first year limitation is the major let down with the card, as other options, like the Discover it Chrome Card offers 2% back on the first $1,250 on gas and dining purchases each quarter (or, $6,000 per year) with no first year limitations.