Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on June 2nd, 2021
BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Secured Credit Card
Earn 2X Miles on Travel
- Earn 2X miles on air/hotel/car rentals earn
- 1X miles on all other qualifying purchases
- Get an $85 credit for TSA Pre Check or Global Entry
- No foreign transaction fee
- Earn 20,000 bonus miles when you spend $2,000 in the first 90 days
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 22.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $89
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $38
At a Glance
Thanks to the 2X miles on flights, hotels, and vehicle rentals and unlimited 1X miles on all other qualifying purchases you can earn when using the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Secured Credit Card, your next dream vacation won’t be a dream for long. As many secured credit cards offer no rewards, the addition of travel rewards with the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Secured is a great touch.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Wish to earn 2X miles on air/hotel/car rentals and 1X miles on all other qualifying purchases
- Will likely spend $2,000 within the first 90 days of owning the card for those 20,000 bonus miles
- Have bad credit or no credit, and want to improve your score while earning travel rewards
- Want statement credits for TSA Precheck
BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Secured Credit Card Review
Even if you have terrible credit or no credit history at all, you can still earn miles towards your next trip when you use the BB&T Spectrum Secured Credit Card with Travel Rewards. The 2X miles you can earn for every dollar spent on air/hotel/car rentals will add up quickly, as will the unlimited 1X miles that cardholders can earn for other qualified purchases they make with this card. Heap on top of that a healthy 20,000 bonus miles given after spending just $2,000 within the first 90 days of being a card member, and you’ve got a great travel card for novice jet setters who are in the process of building up their credit score.
Reward points from BB&T do expire, unlike rewards from other programs. BB&T points expire five years after the date of their issuance. Points have a value of one cent per point.
BB&T Rewards apply to the typical types of awards options, including:
- Cash back
- Charitable donations
- Gift cards
Redeeming rewards earned with the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Secured Credit Card is both a flexible and easy process, as you have the option to use your miles for traveling or gift cards, among other options. If you opt to redeem your miles for hotel stays, they’ll even increase in value by a whopping 75%! With that in mind, it’s easy to see how the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Secured can serve as a rewards workhorse in your wallet whether venturing around the globe for work or fun.
Should You Apply for the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Secured Credit Card?
As secured cards go, the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Secured Credit Card is a very enticing offer. The card is one of a small number of secured cards that actually offer reward for travel purchases. The fact that those rewards are so lucrative – and comes with a sign-up bonus – only adds to the overall quality of the card, which also features a competitive APR and modest annual fee.