Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on June 2nd, 2021
BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Credit Card
Earn 2X Miles on Travel
- Regular Purchase APR 13.24% to 22.24% variable based creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 13.24% to 22.24% variable based creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 22.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $0 for the first 12 months, and $89 afterwards
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn 2X miles on air/hotel/car rentals and 1X miles on all other qualifying purchases (unlimited miles available)
- Earn 20,000 bonus miles when you spend $2,000 in the first 90 days ($200 value), get an $85 credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry
- No annual fee for the first year, and $89 thereafter
- No foreign transaction fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.24% to 22.24% variable based creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.24% to 22.24% variable based creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 22.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first 12 months, and $89 afterwards
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $38
At a Glance
The BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards is a travel rewards card from BB&T. Jet setters who want to earn an unlimited 2X miles on their travel purchases will want to be sure they have the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards on them everywhere they venture.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel frequently and want to earn 2X miles on airfare, hotels, and vehicle rentals, plus 1X miles on other qualifying purchases
- Are likely to spend $2,000 in a 90-day period when you first get the card, capitalizing on the bonus 20,000 miles being offered
- Do not want to pay foreign transaction fees for your purchases overseas
BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Credit Card Review
With the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Credit Card, it’s never been easier to cross a few dream vacations off of your bucket list. The card lets you earn 2X miles on airfare, hotels, and vehicle rentals, as well as 1X miles on other qualifying buys. Best of all, the sky’s the limit when it comes to the miles that you can earn!
Of course, plenty of other travel rewards cards offer better points-per-dollar spent, but those cards have much steeper annual fees. The Amex Green Card, for example, earns 3X on travel, plus 3X on transit (rideshares, busses, ferries, trains, etc.) and dining. That card features a $150 annual fee, which Amex doesn’t waive for the first year, however.
Other enticing benefits come with the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards card, such as 20,000 bonus miles that can be earned after spending just $2,000 using the card within the first 90 days. While that reward isn’t spectacular, 20,000 points have an approximate value of $200 towards travel, or about 10% cash back – not bad.
You’ll also get a statement credit for TSA Pre✓® or Global Entry and airline incidental credit that can be used to pay for checked bag fees, in-flight purchases, and more. Considering the card also has no foreign transaction fees and waives its annual fee for the first year, you may be closer to buying two tickets to paradise than you think.
Should You Apply for the BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Credit Card?
The BB&T Spectrum Travel Rewards Credit Card offers decent value for travelers who want TSA PRrecheck, a basic sign-up bonus, and a $50 travel incidentals credit each year. The lack of an annual fee for the first year is another nice feature, though anyone but the most occasional traveler will struggle to justify the $89 after that. Regular travelers (and even those who only fly once or twice a year) will find much better value from travel cards with a slightly higher price point.