Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on June 2nd, 2021
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card
Earn Up to 3% Cash Back
- Get 3% cash back on gas, 2% cash back on utilities and groceries, and 1% cash back on all other qualifying purchases
- Get 10% bonus cash when you redeem rewards into your BB&T checking or savings account
- Enjoy flexible rewards you can use for cash back, statement credit, gift cards and more
- Get customizable card control features in U by BB&T®
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 22.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $19
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $38
At a Glance
With the BB&T Spectrum Secured Credit Card, you’ll be able to build your credit score while earning cash back on everyday purchases including gas, groceries, and more. Many secured credit cards offer no rewards at all, instead choosing to put the emphasis on rebuilding credit. The BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured, on the other hand, lets users earn while they grow their credit score.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are eager to earn 3% cash back on gas, 2% cash back on utilities and groceries, and 1% cash back on your other qualifying purchases
- Want to establish or repair your credit rating
- Would benefit from spending alerts to help stay on budget
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card Review
You don’t have to necessarily have a good credit score in order to enjoy the types of cash back bonuses that other cardholders have available to them. Thanks to the BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card, even if your credit score is poor, you can earn 3% cash back on gas, 2% cash back on utilities and groceries, and 1% cash back on the other qualifying purchases you make. Plus, if you redeem rewards into your existing BB&T checking or savings account, you can earn 10% bonus cash.
Reward points from BB&T do expire, unlike rewards from other programs. BB&T points expire five years after the date of their issuance. Points have a value of one cent per point.
BB&T Rewards apply to the typical types of awards options, including:
- Cash back
- Charitable donations
- Gift cards
Aside from the rewards you can earn with the BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card, it provides you with the tools to get your credit rating back to where it should be. Cardholders also receive free regular credit score monitoring and review by VantageScore®, provided by Equifax®, and you can set alert thresholds to send messages to your mobile device if suspicious purchases are made over a customizable limit or geographic area. When rebuilding your credit, these are just a few of the card’s invaluable features.
Should You Apply for the BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card?
As secured cards go, the BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Secured Credit Card is a very enticing offer. The card is one of a small number of secured cards that actually offer cash back rewards. The fact that those rewards are so lucrative – and in categories that provide real value – only adds to the overall quality of the card, which also features a competitive APR and modest annual fee.
Related Article: What Are the Best Secured Cards for Building Credit?
For more information about small business secured credit cards, visit our Comprehensive Secured Card Reference Page, featuring the best-secured card offers, detailed advice, and tips to help you build your credit history and that of your company.