Last updated on September 12th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Bank of the West Secured Credit Card
Bank of the West Secured Credit Card
- 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Bank of the West Secured credit card offers cardholders the opportunity to build their credit through regular and on-time payments. An initial deposit of at least $300 secures a line of credit with a variable APR based on the Prime Rate.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- No credit history or minimum credit score needed to qualify
- Credit limit is set by the amount deposited into an interest-earning savings account
- $25 annual fee
- Ability to help build credit with on-time payments
- Regular Purchase APR: 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $25
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Minimum Deposit Required: $300
- You want to establish your credit history
- You have a poor credit history and are looking got rebuild your credit score
- You're looking for a secured card with online account management and protections
- You live in a state eligible for Bank of the West credit cards
Bank of the West Secured Credit Card Review
Sometimes it can seem like establishing a credit history can be almost impossible. The same feelings apply to those seeking to rebuild their credit score after a damaging – or even catastrophic – financial event. For those with less-than-stellar credit scores or no credit history at all, a secured credit card is the best way to help build solid credit habits.
The Bank of the West Secured credit card is a straightforward entry in the secured credit card sector. No credit history or minimum credit score required to open an account, as the initial deposit amount is how the credit limit is set. As little as an opening deposit of $300 is required to secure the line of credit, though an increased line of credit is available for higher initial deposits – all the way to $12,000.
The Bank of the West Secured credit card offers a variable APR based on market rates and the Prime Rate and has an annual fee of $25. Both numbers make it a competitive option in the secured credit card field.
Bank of the West provides all cardholders with online banking options and security protections through their SecureSuite™ feature, including 24/7 fraud monitoring, identity theft resolution, and zero liability to the cardholder for any fraudulent transactions.
Should You Apply for the Bank of the West Secured Credit Card?
While the card does not offer rewards or cash back, it can help users build credit history with regular, on-time payments. Having a track record of continually making payments when they are due is an excellent way to not only improve your credit score but also to move up to an unsecured credit card that may offer rewards in the future.
Bank of the West Limitations
As with other credit card offerings from Bank of the West, It should also be noted that secured card is currently only available to those who reside in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Louisiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Related Article: What Are the Best Secured Cards for Building Credit?