Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
American Express® / Business Extra® Corporate Card
- Regular Purchase APR See Terms
- Annual Fee $75 per cardmember
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network American Express
- Earn 1 Business Extra point per $5 spent on the base airfare of eligible American Airlines flights
- Earn 1 point for every $20 spent on other eligible spending
- Earn up to 6% in rebates for your business on the first $1,500,000 spent on flown eligible American Airlines airfare purchases each year
- Get a $50 Flight Discount for every $5,000 of eligible purchases
- Regular Purchase APR: See Terms
- Annual Fee: $75 per cardmember
- Foreign Transaction Fee: See Terms
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: See Terms
At a Glance
The American Express® / Business Extra® Corporate Card is an airline rewards card for large corporations that frequently send employees on travel with American Airlines, British Airlines, Japan Airlines, Iberia, or other codeshare carriers.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Spend heavily on airfare
- Pay the balance due in full every month
- Want access to exclusive American Airlines rebates and flight discounts
American Express® / Business Extra® Corporate Card Review
The American Express® / Business Extra® Corporate Card lets businesses maximize their savings with exclusive travel perks and discounts. The card features a $75 annual fee for every cardholder.
AAdvantage Business Extra®
The American Express® / Business Extra® Corporate Card is designed to help businesses take advantage of the AAdvantage Business Extra® program. That program is a travel loyalty program for companies that perfectly complements the personal loyalty program from American Airlines – AAdvantage. Business Extra rewards the company by purchasing the flights with points to boost its travel budget, while employees earn their AAdvantage miles, unlike other loyalty programs.
Earn Points on Eligible Spending
The American Express® / Business Extra® Corporate Card doesn’t earn rewards points like other business credit cards. Instead, the card earns 1X Business Extra points per $20 spent on eligible purchases. Eligible purchases with the card are purchases for goods and services, including taxes, minus returns and other credits
In addition, companies earn 1X Business Extra points for every $5 spent on the base airfare of eligible American Airlines flights. This means that companies can earn four points for every $20 spent with American Airlines.
How to Redeem Business Extra Points
American Airlines Business Extra Rewards differ from AAdvantage miles. For starters, for a company to redeem Business Extra points, a travel manager must be assigned by the company, enrolled in the American Airlines AAdvantage® program, and provided their AAdvantage number to use the benefits of the Business Extra program.
Once an account manager is assigned, cardmembers may redeem their rewards points for a variety of awards. These options start as low as 150 points and include the following options:
- Flights and Upgrade Awards: Points apply towards award flights on American Airlines and codeshare partner-operated flights when booking through the Business Extra portal. Points also apply towards seat and class upgrades on eligible flights.
- Admirals Club and Status Awards: Business Extra points also apply towards Admirals Club access (either one-off visits or one-year memberships) or elite status in the AAdvantage loyalty program.
- Carbon Offsetting: Corporations seeking to reduce their carbon footprint can use Business Extra points to offset their carbon emissions through planting trees and other climate-conscious activities.
- AAdvantage Miles: Points also quickly transfer to AAdvantage miles. American Airlines Business Extra points transfer to AAdvantage miles at a rate of approximately 15 miles per point.
Earn Rebates on American Airlines Airfares
Corporations earn up to 6% in rebates for their business on the first $1,500,000 spent on flown eligible American Airlines airfare purchases each year. This rebate applies to flown Published Base Airfares from American Airlines, or flights operated by Envoy Air, Piedmont Airlines, and PSA Airlines, plus codeshare flights sold and marketed by American Airlines but operated by British Airways or Iberia.
American Airlines Flight Discounts
Employees with Business Extra® Corporate Cards also receive American Airlines flight discounts when using their card to book eligible fares. Cardholders get a $50 AA flight discount for every $5,000 spent on eligible purchases — up to a maximum of $1,000 per cardmember per year.
Another Featured Corporate Card Option
Ideal for companies that struggle with expense reports, reimbursements, receipts, and expensive annual service contracts
Combines seamless expense management software with business cards so you never have to process another expense report
Who Would Benefit Most from a Corporate Card?
Corporate cards differ from small business credit cards in significant ways. First, corporate cards from American Express operate like charge cards, meaning the entire statement balance is due each month. Because of this repayment policy, a corporate card like the American Express Business Extra Card.
Second, cards like the Amex Business Extra Corporate Card require significant spending to deliver the types of rewards businesses are after. Large companies that frequently send employees on business travel will benefit from a card like the Business Extra most.
How to Apply for the Amex Business Extra Corporate Card
As the Amex Business Extra Corporate Card is different from a traditional business credit card, it features a different application process than companies are used to. To start, interested companies must complete a short online form on the card’s landing page. From there, companies will be contacted by an American Express corporate program specialist.
Should You Apply for the American Express® / Business Extra® Corporate Card?
Corporate cards aren’t ideal for every company – working best for companies that spend (and travel) big. The American Express® / Business Extra® Corporate Card is one such example of a versatile corporate card that provides valuable savings for businesses – savings they want to pass on to employees.
The card earns one point for every $20 in eligible spending, plus one point for every $5 spent on eligible fares with American Airlines and partner carriers. For companies that spend big, the value with the card is apparent – especially with the employee flight discounts and 6% rebate on American Airlines fares.