American Express is continuing its famed campaign designed to help local businesses during the economic turmoil of the coronavirus pandemic. The “Shop Small” program aims to boost consumer spending with neighborhood merchants and encourages customers to “show up for your community.” Here’s what you need to know about the most recent changes to the Amex Shop Small program.
How to Support Local Business with Your Amex Card
Taking part in the American Express Shop Small program is simple:
- Enroll: Enroll an eligible Amex credit card by July 26, 2020, through this link.
- Shop Small: Use your registered Amex card to make a single purchase of $10 or more at eligible small businesses. To find available merchants nationwide, visit the program’s location finder.
- Receive Your Statement Credit: After spending $10, you’ll receive a $5 statement credit.
- Keep Spending: The new promotion is valid for ten purchases through September 20, 2020. Each $10 spent on a visit earns a $5 statement credit, meaning the offer is worth up to $50 in credits on your American Express statements.
99% of U.S. Merchants Accept American Express
American Express has been raising its profile with small businesses over the past few years. This process is due in large part to new procedures for negotiating merchant fees, resulting Amex now being accepted at 99% of U.S. businesses.
The Shop Small program’s new promotion is the latest way for the company to bolster its relationship with small businesses. The program helps those impacted hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic – local merchants – by enticing consumers to support their communities’ small businesses.
Offer Terms and Conditions
All U.S. American Express business and consumer cards, including the prepaid Serve and Bluebird cards, are eligible for this promotion. All other prepaid cards, as well as Amex corporate cards and Amex cards issued outside the United States, are ineligible.
Statement credits may not apply for merchants who use a third-party services to sell their products, including mobile or wireless card readers. Purchases made through Resy.com and the Resy mobile app will qualify for the credit, however.
Cardholders will not receive credits for other transaction types, such as:
- Traveler’s checks
- Purchases or reloading of prepaid cards
- Balance transfers
- Cash advances
- Interest or fees
Related Article: How to Protect Your Small Business Financially During a Crisis