Last month, Air Canada unveiled new details about points expiration for its Aeroplan rewards program. This unveiling was part of the launch of a revamped rewards system due later this year. Now, Air Canada is revealing further details for the “new and improved“ Aeroplan program starting in November 2020. Here’s what you need to know:
New Aeroplan Program Details
The new Aeroplan program will officially launch on November 8, 2020. The initial plans from Air Canada were for the program to launch in Q3 of this year, but the COVID-19 pandemic made those plans unrealistic.
Improved Value for Aeroplan Members
What are some of the more noteworthy features of the new Aeroplan program? Air Canada is trumpeting an improvement in value on all flight rewards. This includes:
- Air Canada Aeroplan members can use their points to purchase any Air Canada seats available for sale, with no restrictions.
- No fuel surcharges on any Air Canada flights. Air Canada will also waive additional surcharges (excepting taxes and third-party fees).
- The introduction of a Points Prediction Tool that provides an estimate of the Aeroplan points needed to book an award flight. Award flight prices will be based on actual market prices, and not based on a static awards chart.
- New travel partners, including Etihad Airways and Azul.
- Members can use Points + Cash to pay for award flights. This will provide greater financial flexibility for bookings.
- Points are redeemable for flight upgrades, including upgrades to Air Canada Premium Economy and Business Class (when available).
- Points also apply towards in-flight Wi-Fi, Maple Leaf Lounge access, car rentals, hotel stays, and more.
New Elite Status Member Benefits
The new Aeroplan program will also be more rewarding to members with elite tier status. This new elite level is known as “Priority Rewards”. Aeroplan members at 35K Status or higher will automatically receive Priority Rewards when the new Aeroplan program launches in November. These new elite status perks include:
- 50% off the price if purchasing points.
- Status Pass: Eligible elite status members can share their benefits with friends and family members – even if they are not traveling together. Shareable benefits include lounge access, priority boarding, and more.
- The ability to earn status qualification points with everyday purchases, such as retail, travel, credit card, and other purchases.
New Canada-Only Credit Cards
The final piece of news coming out of the new Aeroplan launch details are new credit cards for the Canadian market. Unfortunately, there are no new credit cards for the American consumer – unless they also reside in Canada.
Fortunately, Aeroplan members can still take advantage of the new Aeroplan program via TD Bank’s Aeroplan credit card. The TD Aeroplan Visa Signature® Credit Card offers 2X miles per dollar on Air Canada flights and a single mile for every other dollar spent on the card.
Related Article: The Ultimate Star Alliance Program Guide