Last updated on September 15th, 2023
Chase has announced the Q4 2023 5% cash back categories for two of its most popular credit cards, the Chase Freedom Flex and Chase Freedom. From October 1st through December 31st, cardmembers can earn up to $1,500 in cash back rewards using their cards for PayPal purchases, at wholesale clubs, and for select charities.
Chase Freedom 5% Categories for Q4 2023 Announced
Cardmembers earn 5% back on the first $1,500 in combined spending at PayPal, wholesale clubs (like Sam’s Club or Costco), and select charitable donations. Keep in mind, though, that these purchases are subject to applicable MCC merchant codes and payment methods. Refer to the 5% Cash Back Calendar below or the Chase website for a complete list of Chase terms and conditions.
Here is the final 2023 Chase Freedom 5% Cash Back Calendar:
|5% Cash Back Category|
|January - March 2023||Target, grocery stores (excluding Walmart), plus fitness and gym memberships|
|April - June 2023||Amazon.com and Lowe’s|
|July - September 2023||Gas stations/EV charging and live entertainment|
|October - December 2023||PayPal, wholesale clubs, and select charities|
Whether you are stocking up on holiday party items, gifts for family and friends, or preparing for a holiday dinner, Cardmembers can earn 5% off all the essentials at their favorite wholesale club.
Merchants in this category operate warehouse-style retail stores, sell in bulk, and concentrate on price appeal. These merchants sell a full range of household goods and merchandise, groceries, furniture, electronics, appliances, and auto supplies. These merchants may or may not have membership requirements. Gas, fuel, wholesale specialty service purchases such as travel, insurance, cell phone and home improvement will not qualify in this category. Delivery service merchants will be included if they are classified as wholesale club merchants. Mastercard is not accepted at Costco warehouses or at gas stations.
Cardmembers can “feel the reward” when they donate to select charities by earning cash back and helping needy organizations.
Includes American Red Cross, Equal Justice Initiatives, Feeding America, Habitat for Humanity, International Medical Corps, International Rescue Committee, Leadership Conference Education Fund, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, National Urban League, Thurgood Marshall College Fund, United Negro College Fund, UNICEF USA, United Way, World Central Kitchen, GLSEN, Out and Equal, Sage
Cardmembers can earn 5% cash back on eligible purchases made when checking out with PayPal at tens of millions of online businesses.
Purchases made using PayPal at merchants in the current 5% quarterly categories will be awarded a total of 5% Cash Back rewards. Payments made through the Xoom transfer service are not eligible for 5%. Must have/open a PayPal account. Please note, Person-to-Person (P2P) transactions made with your Chase Freedom card on PayPal may be prohibited or not eligible for 5%.
About the Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Freedom Flex
- 20.49% to 29.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 20.49% to 29.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 15 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The Chase Freedom Flex is a hybrid cash back credit card that offers something for everyone. The card earns 3% cash back on dining and drugstore purchases, plus up to 5% back on rotating categories each quarter after activation – all for no annual fee.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn a $200 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% on up to $1,500 on combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Earn 3% on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- Earn 3% on drugstore purchases
- Earn 1% on all other purchases
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 19.24%-27.99%
- No annual fee - You wo't have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Freedom Flex℠ card
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 20.49% to 29.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 20.49% to 29.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Intro fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater, on transfers made within 60 days of account opening. After that: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You want a versatile cash back credit card that earns rewards across various categories
- You don’t mind the lower cash back rates for dining and drugstore purchases over previous Chase cards
- You prefer to book travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee for premium Mastercard features
Chase Freedom and Freedom Flex cardmembers must activate their bonus categories before they earn 5% back on the first $1,500 in spending each quarter. Fortunately, activating new categories with Chase is easy. Bonus categories can be activated by visiting the Chase bonus activation page or logging in to your Chase account.
- 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3% on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- 3% on drugstore purchases
- 1% on all other purchases
Other Rotating Category Cards
The Freedom Flex isn’t the only rotating category cash back credit card on the market today. The Discover It Cash Back is an excellent no-annual-fee card offering 5% cash back on rotating categories. Another previous contender was the Citi Dividend Card. however, that card is no longer open to new applicants. Amalgamated Bank of Chicago (ABOC) also featured a 5X rotating category card, but that too has been discontinued.
Related Article: 2023 Discover & Chase 5% Cash Back Calendar