Aeroplan is the frequent flyer program of Air Canada, which is part of the Star Alliance. Like other loyalty programs, Aeroplan is currently attempting to tempt travelers with impressive bonuses for buying miles. Air Canada’s current offer consists of miles from just 1.26 cents ($0.0126) per mile. If you’ve got travel in your future plans, here’s what you need to know about the new Air Canada Aeroplan bonus miles offer:
Air Canada Aeroplan Bonus Miles Offer
Aeroplan is currently offering members the chance to purchase miles at a significantly reduced rate. The offer, which runs through July 12, provides the prospects of an additional 75% more points when customers purchase Aeroplan miles through their Aeroplan account.
The offer – and value of miles – breaks down as follows:
- 2,000 – 50,000 miles: 25% bonus (1.77¢ per mile)
- 60,000 – 170,000 miles: 40% bonus (1.58¢ per mile)
- 180,000 – 240,000 miles: 60% bonus (1.38¢ per mile)
- 250,000+ miles: 75% bonus (1.26¢ per mile)
Offer Terms and Conditions
- Miles may take up to 72 hours to deposit into the Aeroplan member’s account.
- This offer runs until 11:59:59 pm on July 12, 2020.
- All miles gifted or purchased before the offer are not eligible and don’t count towards Altitude Qualifying Dollars (AQD) associated with this offer.
- Bonus Aeroplan Miles awarded through this offer don’t apply to the limit of 350,000 Aeroplan Miles that can be bought per transaction per Aeroplan account during the sale, or the annual limit of 1,000,000 Aeroplan Miles that can be purchased per Aeroplan account.
For complete rules and regulations, please see the Aeroplan Miles Offer Rules and Regulations.
Should You Purchase Bonus Aeroplan Miles?
Purchasing frequent flyer rewards points usually isn’t advisable – especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, as travel has reduced significantly. For those who frequently travel with Air Canada (or another Star Alliance member), however, the offer might be too good to pass up. This is especially true for those willing to spend heavily.
The best redemption options for Aeroplan miles lie with award flights. Specific destinations, however, provide better value than others.
The best award flights come from Air Canada flights to/from the following regions:
- Long-haul Canada / Continental U.S. flights
- Flights to Hawaii
- Flights to South America
- Australasian flights (including Australasia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific)
The most expensive of these award options are Australia and the South Pacific, with flights starting from 90,000 miles. The least costly award routes are those long-haul flights in Continental North America – including Canada and the lower 48 states of the U.S.
The most expensive bonus miles offer currently available would require over $5,500 in spending for a haul of 250,000+ miles. With the 75% bonus applied, that total spend would equal 437,500 miles – good for five one-way flights from Vancouver to Sydney, or almost 18 one-way, long-haul flights in the Continental U.S. or Canada.
TD Aeroplan Visa Signature® Credit Card
There is no explicit language in the Air Canada terms and conditions that prohibits TD Aeroplan Visa Signature® credit cardholders from purchasing miles with their card. That card earns double miles on direct Air Canada purchases, meaning users can further enhance their miles haul. Of course, you should always double-check before using the card to make any bonus miles purchase.
Related Article: The Ultimate Star Alliance Program Guide
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.