Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
SKYPASS Visa® Secured Card
5,000 Bonus Miles After First Card Use
- 5,000 SKYPASS bonus miles after your first purchase
- 1,000 Bonus miles at renewal
- Earn 1 mile for every $1 you spend in eligible net purchases
- $250,000 in Travel Accident Insurance
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $50
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Minimum Deposit Required: $300
- 20% off + Free Shipping on Fanatics.com orders of $49+ – Offer Expires on April 15, 2021 – See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 – Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 – See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 – Offer Expires on December 22, 2021 – See Details
- Save 10% on Select Regularly Priced Jewelry – Offer Expires on February 03, 2022 – See Details
- Save 10% and complimentary daily breakfast for two with Preferred Hotels – Offer Expires on March 31, 2022 – See Details
- Save $25 in the US with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase with promotion code VISA38 – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase at Harry & David – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Troon® Golf for Visa Infinite – Offer Expires on January 26, 2022 – See Details
- Sonoma Wine Tastings 2:1 Offer with a Visa Signature or Visa Infinite Card – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- View All Deals –
At a Glance
The SKYPASS Visa Secured Card is ideal for cardholders looking to build or re-establish their credit history while they collect airline miles. These miles can be redeemed for airline tickets and upgrades on Korean Air and SkyTeam partners. The card earns one mile per dollar spent on net purchases, with the added benefit of 5,000 bonus miles after making their first purchase. The card comes with an annual fee of $50.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Frequently fly using Korean Air or SkyTeam partners
- Are building or rebuilding their credit
- Want to earn rewards while boosting credit
- Want Auto Rental Insurance for no extra cost
SKYPASS Visa Secured Card Review
Many secured credit cards don’t offer many travel benefits, but the SKYPASS Visa Secured Card helps cardholders improve their credit and collect miles. Cardholders earn a single mile for every $1 they spend on eligible purchases – plus an extra 5,000 bonus SKYPASS miles after they make their first purchase.
Miles earned through the SKYPASS Secured Card are applicable towards flights with either Korean Air or other SkyTeam carriers worldwide, including Delta Airlines, Air France, KLM, Aeromexico, and more. Miles also apply towards seat upgrades, hotel and rental car bookings with SkyTeam partners and more.
Like other secured credit cards, the SKYPASS Visa Secured Card requires a deposit, which acts as a credit line for the account. Since the card is issued through U.S. Bank, a secured account with he is banking giant must be opened. Fortunately, the funds deposited as security for the card will earn interest – provided the credit card account remains in good standing, and the cardholder makes their payments on time. If not, they may lose some – or all – of their deposited funds, and U.S. Bank may close the account.
Traveling with the SKYPASS Visa Secured Card is beneficial as it provides travel and emergency assistance, as well as Visa’s zero fraud liability protection. Also provided is an Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, which covers the cost of damage to a rental vehicle. Unfortunately, however, there is a foreign transaction fee, so users will pay an additional charge on foreign purchases.
For more information on the SkyTeam, check out:
Should You Apply for the SKYPASS Visa Secured Card?
The SKYPASS Secured Card is a pretty decent secured credit card from card issuer U.S. Bank and Korean Air. The chance to earn frequent flyer miles with a secured card is a great perk, and while many might scoff at the single point each dollar earns, for those with a less-than-stellar credit score, being able to earn points while building credit is great.
The SKYPASS Secured Visa is like other secured credit cards in that it helps people build credit through timely payments. And, like other secured credit cards, it comes with an annual fee: in this case, $50. While $50 is more than what many other secured cards charge, they also rarely offer the option to earn frequent flyer miles for every purchase. For that, $50 seems like a fair trade-off.
The lack of an upgrade to an unsecured card, however, is a negative. Fortunately, if you get another SKYPASS credit card, all you’ll still be able to earn miles – and sue them without issue.
For more information on bad credit and secured credit cards, visit our Comprehensive Secured Card Reference Page, featuring the best-secured card offers, detailed advice, and tips to help you build your credit history.