Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
LATAM Visa® Secured Card
5,000 Bonus Points After First Card Use
- Get 1 LATAM Pass Point for every eligible net $1 you spend
- Receive 10% discount on first LATAM Airlines purchase (up to $500) one time per year
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after your first card use
- No cap on points earned
- Regular Purchase APR: 22.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 22.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first 12 months. After that, $25
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Minimum Deposit Required: $300
- 20% off + Free Shipping on Fanatics.com orders of $49+ – Offer Expires on April 15, 2021 – See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 – Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 – See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 – Offer Expires on December 22, 2021 – See Details
- Save 10% on Select Regularly Priced Jewelry – Offer Expires on February 03, 2022 – See Details
- Save 10% and complimentary daily breakfast for two with Preferred Hotels – Offer Expires on March 31, 2022 – See Details
- Save $25 in the US with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase with promotion code VISA38 – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase at Harry & David – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Troon® Golf for Visa Infinite – Offer Expires on January 26, 2022 – See Details
- Sonoma Wine Tastings 2:1 Offer with a Visa Signature or Visa Infinite Card – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- View All Deals –
At a Glance
The LATAM Visa® Secured Card is a secured credit card for those who are trying to establish (or rebuild) their credit but don’t want to miss out on rewards while doing so. The card earns one point per dollar spent on purchases, plus an additional 5,000 bonus points after making the first purchase. Cardholders also receive a 10% discount on their first LATAM purchase each year – a value of up to $500 – all for a $25 annual fee (which U.S. Bank waives for the first year).
Ideal for Those Who:
- Prefer to fly with LATAM
- Are trying to establish – or rebuild – their credit, but want perks along the way
- Want to earn LATAM Pass points for every purchase they make
- Frequently travel to Central or South America
LATAM Visa® Secured Card Review
The LATAM Visa® Secured Card from U.S. Bank is a secured credit card that offers holders rewards. Secured credit cards are a great way for those looking to improve their credit score, as well as those who have the little-to-no credit history to speak of to establish a credit track record with on-time payments.
What makes the LATAM Visa® Secured Card so unique is that cardholders can earn while they build their credit. Members earn a single LATAM point for every eligible dollar they spend on purchases, with no cap on the number of they can earn. New accounts also benefit from 5,000 bonus points once they make their first purchase with the card, plus a 10% discount on their first LATAM ticket purchase each year (a value of up to $500)).
How to Use LATAM Points
The LATAM Pass rewards program is one of the richest programs in the Americas – and one of the most popular. Points are applicable towards travel with LATAM, LATAM subsidiaries, and LATAM codeshare partners, including their new partnership with Delta – the world’s largest carrier. Points also apply towards seat upgrades, additional baggage allowances, and other associated travel costs with LATAM and LATAM partners.
For more information on the SkyTeam, check out:
Should You Apply for the LATAM Visa® Secured Card?
LATAM is South America’s largest carrier, with subsidiaries scattered across the continent. The LATAM Visa Secured Card is an excellent way to travel and build a solid credit history at the same time. Earning a point for every dollar spent on purchases might not seem like a lot, but it’s the same point-earning rate of the unsecured LATAM Visa Card, which has a higher annual fee.
LATAM points are essentially kilometers which apply towards redemption flights. LATAM does not allow one-way fares for redemption flights, meaning redeeming points for tickets can be pricey. A roundtrip flight from Miami to Argentina, for example, will likely cost around 70,000 points.
Because of this, many potential secured card applicants might view the bonus points on offer as a waste of time. While 5,000 bonus points might seem like an insignificant drop in the bucket towards a free flight, it is a start – and a start that many secured cards simply do not offer.
Additionally, moving up to an unsecured LATAM Card, such as the LATAM Visa signature or the LATAM Visa Card, provides Secured Cardholders with even more points as a sign-up bonus, meaning they can receive up to 25,000 bonus points (excluding points earned from purchases) just for rebuilding their credit with U.S Bank and LATAM!
The LATAM Visa Secured Card also benefits from an annual fee of $25, which is waived for the first year. While there are a few secured cards that offer no annual fee, there are even fewer that offer awards to cardholders. The LATAM Visa Secured Card offers both (for the first year). While the fee rises to $25 for the second year – and every year after that – $25 is still a very good yearly charge for a secured card.
For more information on bad credit and secured credit cards, visit our Comprehensive Secured Card Reference Page, featuring the best-secured card offers, detailed advice, and tips to help you build your credit history.