Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Expedia® Rewards Voyager Card from Citi
Earn 25,000 Expedia Rewards Bonus Points
- Regular Purchase APR 13.99% to 21.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 13.99% to 21.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate for transfers completed within 2 months from date of account opening
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $95
- Credit Needed Excellent
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn 25,000 Expedia Rewards bonus points after $2,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening
- 4X Expedia Rewards points on eligible Expedia purchases, 2X on dining and entertainment, and 1X on all other purchases
- $100 Annual Air Travel Fee Statement Credit can be used toward airline incidentals on qualified airlines
- Anniversary Bonus of 5,000 Expedia Rewards bonus points after you spend $10,000 in the prior year
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.99% to 21.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99% to 21.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate for transfers completed within 2 months from date of account opening
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $95
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Expedia® Rewards Voyager Card from Citi provides excellent value for the regular traveler thanks to the up to 4X points per dollar spent on purchases, $100 annual airline incidentals credit, and more. The card also provides a decent sign-up bonus, annual points bonus, and no foreign transaction fees – all for a $95 annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often, particularly by booking through Expedia.com
- Fly regularly
- Want complimentary Expedia Rewards gold status
Expedia® Rewards Voyager Card from Citi Review
The Expedia® Rewards Voyager Card from Citi is a premium travel rewards card that provides a decent sign-up bonus, daily value, and travel perks for a reasonable, $95 annual fee.
Introductory and Anniversary Bonuses
Most premium travel credit cards come with an introductory points or miles bonus -and the Expedia Voyager Card is no different. New accounts can earn 25,000 Expedia Rewards bonus points after making $2,000 in purchases within the first three months of account opening.
Expedia Rewards points do not hold the same value as American Express Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards points but provide flexibility of redemption for travelers not dedicated to one brand. The approximate cash value of the 25,000 bonus Expedia points is approximately $175 to $200, which, while not spectacular, is an easy-to-reach bonus.
In addition to the 25,000-point sign-up bonus, cardmembers also receive 5,000 Expedia Rewards bonus points after making $10,000 in purchases within a calendar year. Again, this isn’t a massive bonus, but it does provide additional value for cardholders that travel regularly and want additional savings on flights, hotels, rental cars, and more.
How to Earn Points
The Expedia® Rewards Voyager Card also earns Expedia Rewards points with everyday purchases. Cardholders earn 4X on eligible Expedia purchases, for instance. The 4X Expedia category is fairly broad, reflecting the general travel nature of the card. For example, cardholders earn 4X on the following purchases through the travel brand:
- Activities and travel packages
Keep in mind, however, that not all Expedia purchases earn 4X. Car reservations not booked as part of a travel package, for example, do not qualify, nor do cruise bookings or any bookings made via the “Vacation Rentals” tab on Expedia.com. So before making any purchases through Expedia, be sure to carefully inspect the cardmember agreement to ensure you receive 4X points – and not a single point per dollar spent.
The Expedia® Rewards Voyager also earns 2X points on dining and entertainment, with the latter being a broad category open to significant savings. In addition, cardholders earn 2X not just on takeaway and delivery services but also concert tickets, movie tickets, and sporting events – making the card a great everyday earner for those who enjoy getting out.
All other purchases with the card earn a single point per dollar spent, with no cap on the total number of points earnable. Expedia Rewards points do expire after 18 months, however, if the account is inactive. Thankfully, keeping the account active is as easy as making a purchase or redeeming points every 18 months, so there isn’t much to worry about.
How to Redeem Expedia Rewards Points
It’s simple to redeem Expedia Rewards points. To do so, cardholders must log in to their Expedia Rewards account and search for the award of their choosing. Rewards members can select from hotels, rental cars, things to do, packages, or flights.
Once the user finds their ideal itinerary, they simply choose “Use My Points” at checkout. There are, however, a few things to keep in mind when redeeming points for flights through the Expedia portal. First, the company stipulates those points “must cover the full value of the flight, including taxes and fees.” Additionally, bookings made with points cannot be changed or canceled.
The Voyager Card from Citi also provides several travel-centric perks for cardholders. The first of these benefits is complementary Expedia Gold membership. Gold Tier is the highest tier in the Expedia Rewards program and usually requires a minimum of 15 qualifying hotel stays per year or $10,000 in spending over a calendar year.
The Gold tier provides holders with the following perks:
- Complimentary room upgrades at VIP Access hotels (when available)
- 30% more Expedia Rewards points when booking
- Complimentary breakfast and spa credits at VIP Access hotels (where available)
- Expedia’s Hotel Price Guarantee
The card also provides a $100 travel statement credit for air travel each year of membership. This $100 annual air travel credit can be used toward airline incidentals on qualified airlines, Wi-Fi on flights, or for Global Entry or TSA Precheck® application fees.
Other travel perks with the card include:
- No foreign transaction fees
- Citi® Concierge and Citi Entertainment® access
The interest rates and fees with the Expedia® Rewards Voyager Card from Citi are competitive but not exceptional. The APR with the card starts at around 14%, three percentage points lower than the national average for similar credit cards. That said, the card doesn’t offer any intro APR periods, and the higher-end APR is fairly high – especially given the credit score requirements of the card (excellent credit is typically the minimum requirement).
Should You Apply for the Expedia® Rewards Voyager Card from Citi?
Overall, the Expedia® Rewards Voyager Card from Citi is a competitive travel card for those who prefer to book their travel through portals such as Expedia. The card earns impressive points for those bookings and offers a decent sign-up bonus to help facilitate an even better trip.
The addition of no foreign transaction fees and the $100 airline credit also makes travel much more comfortable. It eliminates many of the unforeseen charges that can pop up when traveling abroad (or even domestically regarding the annual airline statement credit).