Delta Air Lines is extending Medallion status for SkyMiles members once again. The carrier also extended SkyMiles tier status last year, though this year’s extension is counter to moves by many of the leading carriers in the United States. Here is what you need to know about Delta extending SkyMiles Medallion status through 2023:
Delta Extends Medallion Status and MQMs Through Start of 2023
The coronavirus pandemic forced nearly every airline to extend frequent flyer program status for an additional year. With the resuming of regular travel in 2021, however, many carriers are forgoing extensions to elite status in their loyalty programs. Delta, however, is keeping true to its customers and extending Medallion status yet again.
Effective immediately, Delta will extend the current status of SkyMiles Medallion members through January 31, 2023. The carrier is also rolling over Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) earned from 2021 to 2022. This MQM roll-over will allow members to earn their 2023 Medallion status – without fear of travel restrictions wiping out their elite tier status.
Other notable updates for Delta SkyMiles Medallion members include:
- All Members will continue to earn toward Status on Award Travel through December 31, 2022
- All Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates will be extended for travel through January 31, 2023
- Current Delta 360 members will enjoy their benefits for an additional year through January 31, 2023. Delta 360 Members will also be able to select Diamond Choice Benefits.
Amex Cardholders Receive Travel Perk Extensions
Delta is also extending the expiration date for some perks of co-branded American Express Delta SkyMiles credit cards. Amex and Delta will extend the following benefits through January 31, 2023:
- Delta SkyMiles Gold Card: Members who earn a $100 Delta Flight Credit between January 1, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will have the expiration date extended to January 31, 2023.
- Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card: Members with unused Companion Certificates as of July 31, 2021, or Companion Certificates issued between August 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021, will have the expiration date extended to book and fly by January 31, 2023.
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve Card: Members with Delta Sky Club One-Time Guest Passes issued between January 1, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will have the expiration dates extended to January 31, 2023. Reserve SkyMiles Cardholders will also receive the same extension of unused SkyMiles Companion Certificates as Platinum Cardholders.
Customer Loyalty Has Never Been More Important
Speaking in a press release, Delta’s SVP of Customer Engagement, Dwight James, said that customer loyalty has never been more critical. “After an unprecedented year, we are thrilled to see so many of our loyal Members back in the skies and reuniting with loved ones,” he said. “However, we know traveling looks different than it did before the pandemic. No matter what your situation has been throughout the past year, we want to do all we can to make your return to travel seamless and rewarding, with the assurance that Delta is listening and responding to take care of you every step of the way.”
Related Article: The Ultimate Guide to Delta Air Lines SkyMiles